• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm matrial??

also iv seen ppl put leaf springs in the front of there xj's?? is that just for bigger lifts, i can seem to see how leafs would get more flex then coils?!?! am i wrong??

2" DOM tubing is good. leaf in the front of xj? yea if you wanna hang up on rocks like you never did before withcoils.

I made a set of long arms with square tube

107_0702.JPG

I made them non adjustable becasue I had the llenghts figured exactly and I made the uppers adjustable for changing caster /camber..

what I did was bought a coupler nut to fit snug inside the the sqaure tube (with a little grinding)

106_0647.JPG

and I bought 2ft of threaded rod
for the uppers

I left about 1/4" sticking out of the tube to weld them to the tip of the tube and also bung welded them at 4 points .

side note here .......I had the square tube laying around the house as scrap..

then I decided to go to DOM

108_0829.JPG

with 1.25 HREW sleved internally (inside of the DOM)

the thing is for the price of an entire stick of 2x2x.25 wall sqare I could pick up 7 ft of DOM and use my existing uppers ..

eventually I changed the uppers to DOM..not because of failure I just wanted to change out the bushing tp poly and I figured it would be easier to shape th round tube with my tube notcher..

ps I did all the shaping on my frist set with a grinder
the second I bout a HF tube notcher and some goood bi metal hole saws

way better cuts!!..

I caught a lot of crap for having aquare tube as control arms ..;).

either way I would defintily sleve em If I were you ..

Last edited:
85cherokeechief said:
There is a picture of my new setup here:
Wow,you couldnt make them any longer or lower!
0b1322c1c4ea9117d3a3464961c54899-.jpg

They are thick enough so they wont be hurt by hitting the ground, and i am going up to 8" of lift pretty soon with a new engine and tranny, so i could not mount to the crossmember. This way i am at 105% antidive right now, and with the new lift i will be at about 98% antidive, which makes for a very well manered front end.

wow thanks guy id thought for sure i would have gotta alot of "ball breakin", for wanten to save a few $$, plus i dont know what it is i get a kick outt amakein my own stuff, instead of buyin u no??.. ill be sendin out pms for more info shortly thanks guys alot every help ful

also what are you guys using for bushings?? i have been lookin at my buddy long arms on his jeep and it looks like there "eye ball" type so they still let the arms twisted.. not like the stock mounts.. do u guys see any differents in flex? im goin about 10in of lift so either way i have to make long arms..

Back