• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Welder

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
What welder do you guys use? MIG TIG JIG PIG? Electric ARC ARGON?
I got a slab of welding to do in the next month so I need to get a welder for CHEAP and learn a few things. Ive worn out my "buddy, bring your tools over" thing
What about cutting?
thanks
\\hoot

Well there is no such thing as a cheap welder!I "love" my Milller 175,it can weld anything we deal with!

I use a clarke en130...with gas.....welds good...have welded 1/4" all day long with it...about 360.00 with regulator but no bottle....the only problem with most 110V units is the duty cycle is low..but this one will weld on highest setting for about 12" before it starts to cycle...not too bad.

If you want cheap, find an ac "buzz box" (stick welder). The learning curve on stick welding is a little steeper than MIG, but if you can weld well with stick you can weld anything. I see used ones advertised around my area all the time for 100-150 dollars. Just make sure you get the proper sized welding rod for the welder (make sure it is for AC if that is what you are using). You also asked what we use. I use a MIG (Miller 135) with hard wire and 75-25 gas. The welder is a little under powered for what I use it for, but I am a fairly good welder. The only welds I have had break were shock mounts on a TJ 8.8 conversion, and they were due to the shocks bottoming out severely (too long). I also didn't have the access to the rearend to weld them to my satisfaction, but could not persuade my friend to pull the rear end out for me to do it better. If you want to spend the money, a 175 amp Mig welder would be ideal. For cutting I use a friction saw to make the straight cuts, a torch or my newly acquired plasma cutter for cuts that aren't straight. A little more detail on what you are planning to do and I can help steer you in the right direction

JJ

I have the Hobart 135 and it does well for most of my needs. With enough practice it will weld anything from thin sheetmetal up to about .25" pretty well.... anyting heavier and I just tack things together where I want them then run up the street and have the local welding shop sink the permanent beads....
Mike B.

I have the same TIG machine ted has.......

I'm waiting for ted to become a pro so he can teach me.......

otherwsie, Mig is cake, go 220......

thank you everyone.
Welder is not gonna be in my plans I guess.
220 isn tan option here, and I wouldnt mind breaking off a Light tab, but suspension and axle stuff is kind of important and I dont think Im up to it.

JUST START SAVING YOUR MONEY.....

don't know why some folks buy impulsively as soon as they scrounge the amount needed for the least expensive item that probably won't do them much good anyway.....

sounds like you know whats best, and thats good.....

just be patient......

keep that coffee can hidden, keep topping it off, and one day you'll have enough to get the right welder......the hobart 175 is an excellent value.....

nothing worse than buying a tool, only to buy the tool you actually needed the ssecond time around.

do it right, do it the first time

Somebody learn how to use it so I can get some lessons. We got a Miller Dynasty 200DX this weekend and I think it's gonna live in my garage for awhile. Played with aluminum but not steel yet. Pretty neato.

KY Chris

Beezil said:
I have the same TIG machine ted has.......

I'm waiting for ted to become a pro so he can teach me.......

otherwsie, Mig is cake, go 220......

If you have no electricity then the MSG 200 is a cool machine, they used to be made by everyone like lincoln, and Hobart which is the one I use. They can weld really well and even make a nice little whistle sound as you go along. Best part is that is is portable and can be used as a generator. Check it outMSG 200

39443.gif

How about this one at HF, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=39443

I didn't see it first hand, but there are pictures of it on the Sierra Chapter, Swamp Lk. run pics.

60" of welding per charge should be able to get most simple fab work done, or even better you can take this one on the trail with you to!

Any of you guys running a 135 wish you'd gone higher? I'm probably getting one in the next few weeks, most likely the Miller 135, because that's the biggest I can go from a standard power outlet, and since I still live in an apartment, it's not really an option to get a 220 power source. I'll use it for stuff on the Jeep, and for tubing and stuff. I found a Miller 135 for $540 with a free cart, which seems like a good deal, anybody know where to get a better price?

That is about what I paid for mine. If you are a decent welder you can get buy with the 135. I have welded everything with mine. I did want a hotter welder however, so I recently bought a Miller 180sd TIG. So in answer to your question you will want a hotter welder, but with patience you will not find a lot of stuff on your XJ that you aren't able to weld with it.

Do they make 230 volt extension cords? If so, couldn't I just plug it in where the dryer is if I got a 175? Because the price difference is only $100 between the 175 and the 135. I agree with Beezil about doing it right the first time, but I don't want to wait a year or two for the first time either, just weighing my options.

You can make a 220 extension cord, just make sure the amp rating on the breaker is sufficient for the power the welder draws. Also make sure the cable you use to make your extension cord is big enough (mine for my plasma cutter and Tig welder is #6 wire). Definetly get the 175 if at all possible.

Back