• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpsteer?

Jeepdogrob

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not really finding an answer in past posts so I thought I would throw it out there. About a month ago I put and Aussie in my front end (D30) and ever since I am all over the lane when cruising at Highway speeds. When I hit a bump or change in the roads grade it sways. When I am on a smooth surface it doesnt do it though. I am positive it has something to do with the Aussie because it started as soon as it was installed. What are your thoughts?

96, 6.5" LA, 33's

The locker is in your FRONT, right? Does the sway happen when you are in 2 wd or 4 wd? If its happening in 2 wd, it has absolutely nothing to do with the locker (it can’t, the front axle isn’t engaged). Check your ball joints and tie rod ends. The easiest way to check your ball joints is to jack up one side. Grab the tire and try to wiggle it in and out (in the vertical plain, not the horizontal plain like you’re turning). If you get any movement, its time to replace the ball joints. For the tie rod ends, you can grab the tie rod/drag link and wiggle it back and forth. Check for any excessive play on the tie rod ends (all 4 of them). If that doesn’t work check back in here, there are a couple of other things to look at. BTW that is not bump steer, more like just sloppy steering. Bump steer is when your suspension articulates (like driving over a rock, log, etc) and it causes your wheels to turn with out any input from your steering wheel. Usually caused by crappy steering geometry, like on a lifted XJ.

The locker is an Aussie (auto Lunchbox type locker) which if I am not mistaken engages in 2wd also.

The tie rod ends are brand spankin new

Seems that one day, she drives like a dream the following day (when I put the locker in) it starts this nonsense.

?????

As long as you are not applying power to the front axle, the locker doesn’t actually do anything. It is free to sit there and spin inside the differential case, but it’s not engaging . I’m running a Lock Right in my front; it’s a very similar design to the Aussie Locker. It hasn’t caused the XJ to pull to the side or steer funny and I seen no reason why your’s should either. You said the tie rod ends are new, how are the ball joints? I’m still thinking that they are the culprit, but there is something else to check. Do you have adjustable upper/lower control arms? The reason I ask is because when I put in my adjustable uppers I was off slightly. It caused the Jeep to pull to the side until I could get it realigned. You need a good alignment machine that has the sensors that mount on all four tires at the same time. I couldn’t tell by measuring from the frame, but my front axle was not perfectly square with the rear axle. It wasn’t off by much, but the machine picked it up instantly. As soon as everything was corrected it drove much better. I’ve managed to rebuild most of my front axle over the last couple of months (not by choice). Most people dread replacing the ball joints, but its not that bad. I did mine over the course of two days (forgot parts and had to go back the next day), but you can do both sides in one day if you have all of the stuff. You just need one of those c clamp service kits (NAPA & Auto Zone rent them).

Dont forget that movement felt when checking for play vertically on the tyre that it can, and most often is, the hubs worn.

Back