• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What D30 in 200XJ? Want to move to 4.10's

00XJFAN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000XJ with 3.55's and 4 speed auto. From what I gather from other postings I have a low pinion D30 since I have a 2000XJ. Is that true for all 2000 XJ's? Anyone know the model number to check this out or how to tell?

I bought a 8.25 with 4.10's and a Powertack no-slip locker already installed so I need to put them in my D30.

I need some help. Which ring and pinions do I need to order. Do I use the reverse cut set? Do I need a new carrier or any other parts besides the ring and pinion and master install kit?

Thanks for your help.

I was under the impression that the switch from an HP to LP D30 happened mid '00...but I may be wrong. Either way, its really easy to tell (it just depends which side of "center" the pinion enters the pumpkin: top / bottom). Have a look at your front diff:

If the pinion looks like it contacts the ring gear at the bottom: LP (hence the name)

If the pinion looks like it contacts the ring gear at the top (i.e. closer to the engine) : HP

Don't mean to but in but... I have a 2000 XJ and was going to regear my LOW pinion D30 to 4.10. I changed my mind and am going to higher gears. I have a set of used standard cut 4.10s in good shape that I bought of e-bay. I will sell them for what I paid $60

Also, "I" could be wrong, but I thought the change happened mid 99, and ALL 2000 and 2001 were low pinion. They did it to fit the newer exhaust and stuff when they went coiless ignition and other changes. That has never been confirmed though. They might of just had a bunch they wanted to get rid of!

Most important is that you have the TJ Short Pinion LP30 gears!

Back