• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear pattern check

trailxj

NAXJA Forum User
ford 8.8
yukon 5.13
detroit

pinion shim = .016
BL = .005

6thpattern01.jpg

6thpattern02.jpg

too shallow?

my next shim available is .020
(install kit came with (1).010, (2) .012, (1) .016 and (1) .020)

the ring gear is marked BL = .006-.008

if i do my smallest carrier shim move the backlash goes from .005 to .011

i would like to get .006 or .007 but I cant get there.

yoiu might have to run down to Dans driveline and pick up some extra shims
also
are the shims off the old 8.8 carrier any good ..??
if not seee above..

youve got a PM

Last edited:
how's this

Pinion shim = .020
BL = .006

7thpattern01.jpg

7thpattern03.jpg

this too me looks like the "acceptable pattern" in the right hand column, middle pattern of the yukon install guide...

but i welcome any other knowledge or advice...

trailxj said:
how's this

Pinion shim = .020
BL = .006

this too me looks like the "acceptable pattern" in the right hand column, middle pattern of the yukon install guide...

but i welcome any other knowledge or advice...

still looks shallow did you put in .020 (twenty thousanths) or .002 (two thousanths) looks like .002 try moving it another .002 deeper.

rember that you don't have to have a .001 shim to move it .001 you can have mix match you sims so the total of all shims it .001 less. like if you have a .007, .005, .010, .020 all together total is .042 if you swap the .007 with a .005 that removes .002 leaving your total .040.
i always like thicker shims if i can the thinner than paper ones just don't sit right with me.

total pinion shim = .020
the last change i went from .016 to .020

the install kito only came with (1).010, (2).012, (1).016 and (1).020

so my next shim pack would be the .010+.012 = .022

tommorow ill try the .022 and see what happens...

wierd call up the company and give um hell every install kit i've seen has a pretty good slug of shims for pinion. for futur referance let us know how much you move instead of the total amount of shims.

trailxj said:
total pinion shim = .020
the last change i went from .016 to .020

the install kito only came with (1).010, (2).012, (1).016 and (1).020

wow my kits came with prolly 15 shims total some were the same in thickness

where did the kit come from??

and yea try the .022 see what happens
btw if it were me I would try the .026 combination first
I like dramatic changes instead of trying to see minimal changes
like your two sets of pics above
but thats just me...

VegasAnthony said:
and yea try the .022 see what happens
btw if it were me I would try the .026 combination first
I like dramatic changes instead of trying to see minimal changes
like your two sets of pics above
but thats just me...

yeah thats the logical way to do it, i got away from that style after my first few patterns were all wrong due to a damaged bearing..

Then I though I was close...

oh well, thats why they call it learning.

Im going to try the .026 tonight and see if that goes to far or not.

Are both pic's of Drive side gears? It looks like you are very close, but it is hard to see from the photos. Can you spin the diff a bunch of times so you have more teeth to compare both front and back side of the teeth? Also post a larger selection of photos. It is hard to see the bottom of each teeth. From this we only can compare at the most two teeth. Really would like to see several to make sure it is good.

Michael

On the last set of pics...
it looks a hair deep on the pinion. the .020" shims looks good. the 8.8 only needs the handful of shims. I find the 8.8 one of the easiest axles to regear.
backlash is to tight. keep playing with your carrier shims. there is a combo that will give you the correct BL. FYI rule of thumb is 1.5 x the amount of change needed. you have .006" and want .008" move .003". you can also move .005" and have a good pattern. you can also add a thicker shim to just one side of the carrier and fit it in there tighter and that will change the BL also. your pinion depth pattern can still change once you get the BL better.
can you snap a pic of the marking compound on the pinion?
please don't get marking compound all over the place. I like to mark just 2-3 teeth lightly then look at both where the compound is rubbed off and were it was deposited onto other teeth.

feel free to give me a call if you want me to look at more pics, I have been really busy so I haven't been spending much time on NAXJA to catch this stuff.
my cell is 760-505-9924

thanks for the tips.

cant work on the axle tonight..but tommorow night i will

1: change back to the .020 shim, (taking out .006)
2: play with the backlash and open it up a bit.
im a little confused with this, perhaps im mislead. the ring gear I have has "BL .006 - .008" scribed into it. im assuming this is the backlash used at the factory when they lashed the gears? am i wrong to shoot for this. I have had the backlash at .010 and .011, but tightened it up becuase of the marking on the ring gear. i did not however, run a pattern with the wider backlash.
3: ill try and use less paint and take more pics of the painted teeth as well as other teeth where the paint was deposited.
4: ill also then pull the carrier and take pics of the pinion.

i appreciate the advice, ive read 10000 gear posts all over the net and I have the mechanics down, its the reading the patter stuff thats getting me. haha.

oh well, better to take it slow and learn and the screw it up.

after your forth or fifth time it all comes into focus and you learn to read it like another language. take your time and have patience.
the object is to have a nice oval that is centered on the tooth. if it looks like the oval is centered too deep or too shallow then the pinion is. backlash is visible by the toe to heel placement of that oval and is rather obvious when the pattern isn't centered and the BL measures .006".
open up the BL and take a pattern. it couldn't hurt anything to try it. while the gear may have .006 - .008 marked on it, its not the final setting. and your housing isn't the exact same as the machine that setup the gears in the first place. your final answer is what the pattern dictates.

don't try and compare your pattern with the pics in the book that will confuse you more than anything.

alright here we go again..

pinion move -.006, back to .020 (rawbrown said the .020 looked good)

BL opened up to .013 (book spec for 8.8 is .011 - .016)

01. drive side - tried to use less paint
9thpattern01.jpg

02. residual drive side
9thpattern02.jpg

03. coast side
9thpattern04.jpg

04. residual coast
9thpattern03.jpg

05. residual coast #2
9thpattern05.jpg

06. residual drive #2
9thpattern06.jpg