• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys wheel to wheel tie rod conversion

jonn

NAXJA Forum User
has anybody installed this kit? it looks pretty good and the price is right. it comes with a bigger wheel to wheel tie rod and a new drag link. i have a six inch lift on and i am having steering issues where me drag link is hitting my sway bar mount. also if anyone has installed one what size drop pitman arm did you use?

Rustys suggests a 1.5 inch drop pitman arm for lifts 6-8 inches and 3 inch drop pitman arm for lifts over 8 inches... does anyone have something good to say about this kit as I just ordered it last friday before I read the review on this thread... now I am worried.

This is what I've heard from a guy who runs that kit.....remember, it just what I've "heard"..take it for what it's worth.

The older system Rusty's first came out with had some geometry issues. They have since corrected those issues and the steering system they sell these days is fine.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
i know to guy's that "HAD" that setup, they don't anymore, i'll see if i can find out why the got rid of them, also, from what i've read, it's not a very good setup.

I have the new version of rusty's steering setup I love it. I've heard of people having issues with his origional one as seen it the review posted eariler. This definatley cured the issues I was having with the stock steering.

damn... would have been better to know this before I dropped 300 bucks on it... my heep is my DD too... oh well I guess you live and you learn... I have worked quite a bit on a 79 FJ40 Landcruiser and it looks exactly like what they came with from the factory, so maybe that knowledge will help... ::crossing fingers::

@ 6" and over the DL tie-rod-ends(TREs) will be maxed out for flex at ride height/ and even with a 1" drop pitman arm, very little droop on the passenger side will be acheived without the TREs binding..

i've got a used one you can buy for cheap, with some nearly busted-out TREs..

the system works good for 3-5" lifts but over that, nah, go OTK..

I got mine in the mail today and it looks really nice... I haven't installed it yet to check functionality, but it is beefy and painted nicely... even has "Rustys" stamped on it Woo Hoo

LilRedRover said:
even has "Rustys" stamped on it Woo Hoo

You will probably be saying Boo Hoo instead of Woo Hoo soon.

ouch... cursing me, not cool... I have heard good things about the new design. I guess earlier models of this had some geometry problems, but they have fixed that on these newer models, so they say... we'll see I guess

Back