• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Developing new brake setup.

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Dont know what happened when I first posted this 9 hours ago?
Need some help guys I think. I started on developing a new brake package using 298 mm Ford Falcon rotors and VT Commodore PBR twin pot calipers which are local cars here. But have some major clearance problems. If you look at the photo below you can see the caliper has to drop down another 1".

DiscBrakes%20008.jpg

After cutting off the old pad slides to clear the disc, there is not enough room to come down further as the old caliper mounts are in the way.

DiscBrakes%20010.jpg

I cannot use those on their own anyway so was going to use the two hub bolts as well. But now it looks like I need to cut away the caliper mounts as well and just use the hub bolts to make my mounts off.

DiscBrakes%20012.jpg

So now I have to work out if there will be enough strength in the remaining knuckle to support the hub as well as a caliper mount? Looking at a early knuckle that Ryan took a photo of below, quite a bit can be cut away and not worry the hub at all. So that leaves the question of just using the two mounting bolts to hold a bracket which the caliper will bolt too.

DiscBrakes%20003.jpg

I might look at even using a Falcon twin pot caliper instead as the spacing for the bolt holes is wider apart and think they don't sit below the caliper as far. Of course using a 325 mm rotor instead will move the caliper a bit further away too but not sure if they will fit into my 16" rims or not as only came on the premium brake package cars along with 17" rims? They should in theory as the 289 standard rotors will just fit into 15" rims and the 325's run the same caliper.

On my front Aerospace Components on the Drag MJ the caliper is mounted with 2 bolts and the bracket also mounts to the spindle with 2 bolts. We have used 2 bolt calipers on the rear of the dragster for years with no problems.

Thanks for your comments. I been speaking to Precision brakes who have 6 pot Wilwood brake and 325 mm rotor package for the XJ and they just drill and tap out the stock caliper mounting holes of the newer knuckles like mine and they hold fine. That would still be a much smaller bolt and area left around it than the two hub bolts I am thinking of so should be fine.

Gojeep said:
Thanks for your comments. I been speaking to Precision brakes who have 6 pot Wilwood brake and 325 mm rotor package for the XJ and they just drill and tap out the stock caliper mounting holes of the newer knuckles like mine and they hold fine. That would still be a much smaller bolt and area left around it than the two hub bolts I am thinking of so should be fine.

Why does is look like a nice summer day there? Shouldn't you be buried in cold and snow like the rest of us? :D:D

Looking forward to what you find out, I'd love to upgrade the fronts on my XJ as well.

You resolved your rear axle problems I assume? I must have missed what you ended up doing with that. Still have the rear disk brakes?

Well it is mid summer here so nice and hot my friend. :)
The rear axle I have Ryan building one as we speak. It is a new ( NOS ) D44 housing from a MJ with Yukon 4.56 gears, AlloyUSA axles and a Detroit locker for the best reliability. The disc brakes I will sort out myself when it gets here as have some ideas on running XJ front rotors and calipers from a Ford Falcon here that has the integral handbrake as part of the caliper.

Back