• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help needed: Rusty's steering box brace

OR2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased Rusty's steering box brace for my 2000 when I got my lift from them. The problems started early-- when the directions were followed to a "t", the brace would not fit. If the passenger-side frame brace is touching the frame, the steering box wrap will not go on at all--not even 1 thread. If the wrap is on very loose, the frame brace is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the frame. If I were to drill a hole in the latter case, there would only be air to drill on the front side, and a very long stretch to the frame side.

I had called Rusty's a couple of times and was rushed off the phone without much help. (I know they're very busy, but it was a rather *cough* rough call.) I have been told that it should fit, but it certainly does not, no matter how I try within or outside of the directions. The brace now sits in my tool box collecting dust, and my pocketbook is lighter, and my Jeep has no brace.

Anyone have a Rusty's steering box brace installed on a 2000 (or a 97+)? Anyone have any problems? Hints?

Thanks for any help

maybe you have the wrong one, i have one, went on very easy..:dunno:

That's the funny part--I double checked the invoice, and that was the topic of conversation on my first phone call to Rusty's. I have the right one! I was assured that they fit all XJ years and the only difference is the need to drill a new mounting hole on the 97+ ones.

The pictures match what mine looks like, and the measurements are supposedly the same as what Rusty's has on file...but it just plain won't fit on my truck.

*Hrumph*...any other ideas?

I have one on my 98, I had to drill out one of the holes in the braces to make it fit right. And had to reshape the clamp that goes on the box, just stick one end in a vice and whale on it, fits great now.

ive got one collecting dust too. my jeep was in a front end collision and the frame rail thing is slightly tweaked. im gonna hammer it back to normal soon though.

i've got one on my 99, also had to drill the holes out, not a big problem as i rememeber.
its been a while since i looked at the thing,
>> is there any bends in the tubing that you could straighten out thus making it longer and reach a desired length to attach it to the passenger-side ~frame-rail~??

OR2000XJ said:
I purchased Rusty's steering box brace for my 2000 when I got my lift from them. The problems started early-- when the directions were followed to a "t", the brace would not fit. If the passenger-side frame brace is touching the frame, the steering box wrap will not go on at all--not even 1 thread. If the wrap is on very loose, the frame brace is 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch from the frame. If I were to drill a hole in the latter case, there would only be air to drill on the front side, and a very long stretch to the frame side.

Anyone have a Rusty's steering box brace installed on a 2000 (or a 97+)? Anyone have any problems? Hints?

Thanks for any help
sounds familiar.....
I just welded the passenger side on. I have a '96. It was the easiest thing to do....as opposed to finding some way to bolt it on good.

I just had the exact same issue installing a rustys brace on my 01 cherokee yesterday. I ended up using a file to make the hole larger on the brace itself, and again on the clamp. I also had to bend the tube to make it line up perfectly with the clamp. You can probably use a vise if you don't have an actual bending tool. The end result worked pretty well, but I also ended up not installing the middle bolt because I didn’t want to drill another hole in my frame.

Had the same issues, I just welded the passenger side. I also had a Rusty's lift with the adjustable arms and they were junk in my opinion. You get what you pay for is what I found out.

Thanks for posting, everyone. I have no welder, or desire to find/pay someone to do it for me. So the bending ideas seem best, but even with some bends it all comes down to needing to extend the brace about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch so that it can wrap around the steering box. I have a short supply of tools now that I moved away from my old home, so I'm not sure drilling a bigger hole in the "wrap/brace-end" of the contraption will be easy with my 12v cordless and no vice... GRR

Sounds like I'm SOL until I can get Rusty's to send me a new one that actually fits without any extra drilling on what the give me. I'll put a new hole in the frame, but the brace claims to be "bolt-on".

I guess I'm frustrated about 2 things: No fit and bad service on the phone...

Those steering braces are crap any ways. send it back for a refund and get a fame one from C-rock, TnT or JKS. I removed my currie cross-brace and installed a C-rock. The real problem is where they mount to the frame and the cross braces don't help them that much. If you do use it be sure to get a trac bar brace also.

Well...this thing has been sitting around for more than a year. I just plain gave up after it didn't fit and Rusty's didn't offer any hints or real help. Will they take it back? I mean, I think they should take it back, but WILL they?

probably not... everyone is out to make buck including rustys

This sucks. I'm going to have to call them and see if they'll take a return or send me a new one. I just wish they would have cut to the chase when I called them all those times before. That's $#!++y customer service. Craptacular.

Back