• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making stock skids work...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
My Jeep came from the factory with zero armor. I found a deal on a set of 98 stock skids I want to use since I am low on cash for aftermarket stuff.

I am being told that XJs without factory skids will have to get some pressed in nuts for the t-case skid to bolt to and also will need a nutstrip for the driverside unibody rail for the gas tank skid.

Well I think I am getting a nutstrip coming to me, but how can I securely mount the stock t-case skid to my XJ? If I am missing these pressed in nuts, what will work?

Also I have zero hardware, anyone know what all sizes/quantity I will need? Grade 8 right?

how about new nutcerts

DSC01963.JPG

for the transfercase skid i used a self anchoring bolt... hold great

IntrepidXJ said:
how about new nutcerts

DSC01963.JPG

Sorry I have no idea how the skids mount and won't have them in my hands till this weekend, but how do those get in the frame?

???....

ZachMan said:
Sorry I have no idea how the skids mount and won't have them in my hands till this weekend, but how do those get in the frame?

The nut-certs (or riv-nuts as we call them in the aircraft world) are installed by drilling a hole the size of the nut-cert body,threading nut-cert onto a nut-cert tool (similar to a pop-rivet puller),inserting nut-cert into hole, and "pulling" the nut-cert as you would a pop-rivet.A pop-rivet tool will not work, you need a nut-cert tool to do it properly.You can usually find the nut-certs and tool in a kit form.

If you're real good, you can use a set of vise grips to install these. You just need to keep the nutcert from rotating until the bolt pulls it tight, then it does its thing on its own.
As far as the factory t-case skid goes, the only place you really need a nutcert is the frame rail bolt. You can use standard nuts and bolts at the crossmember. I had to cut a wrench in half to get it up inside the crossmember to hold the bolts though.

You wont need to drill any holes to get the factory skid on, the frame already has holes in the correct place. just insert the nutcert and hold it in some fashion until the bolt tightens. The skid mounts in one location on the frame rail and two locations on the crossmember.

Last edited:
another option would be to weld a nut to a coat hanger and run it thru part of the fram rail

You can use nuts and bolts on the crossmember side and get a few nutcerts for the drivers side. I coulnt find the nutcerts anywhere locally so i got them from the dealer for 1.75$ a piece i think. Get one extra becuase you have to get the hand of it. A quick search on the web will tell you how to use the nutcerts with a few washers and bolts.

pete

Back