• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More V8 swap questions

LazarusMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally got the 350 that is going into the MJ and have a few questions.

First off, I am getting a TH-400 that I believe was behind an AMC V8 so I know I need a bellhousing adapter. It has an adapter on the tail to bolt up a Dana 20 T-case. I am getting the 20 with the tranny and was wondering how difficult it would be to make this work.

I don't know what side the Dana 20's front output is on so basically that is the only thing I NEED to know.

Also If it is passenger side I know where I can get a Toyota front axle.

If the are any other major hurtles I am not mentioning, feel free to let me know.

TIA

LazarusMJ said:
Well, I finally got the 350 that is going into the MJ and have a few questions.

First off, I am getting a TH-400 that I believe was behind an AMC V8 so I know I need a bellhousing adapter. It has an adapter on the tail to bolt up a Dana 20 T-case. I am getting the 20 with the tranny and was wondering how difficult it would be to make this work.

I don't know what side the Dana 20's front output is on so basically that is the only thing I NEED to know.

Also If it is passenger side I know where I can get a Toyota front axle.

If the are any other major hurtles I am not mentioning, feel free to let me know.

TIA

D20 is PS drop.

Ask you this question, How many factory trucks came with a V8 and an 8in Ring gear? probibly None. 8in toyota ring gears are great but those toyotas only have like 90HP from the factory and alot less weight then an xj with a v8.

FJ80 front axle could be a good builder if thats what you found over the mini truck 8in axles.

The Toyota axles are pretty strong. They used the 8 inch in all the pickups, up to 1 ton, so I am not really worried about the axles being to weak. That and why go try to find something else that I might have to narrow when my brother has like 4 sets of Toyota axles.

Also, consider the area in which I live. New Hampsire is not as extreme as the West is. The terrain here is pretty mild, and there aren't many trails that require heavily built rigs.

I only need axles that will handle the V8, which the Toyota's will.

Thanks for the answer on the D 20 though, I appreciate it.

Edit: Also, I plan on doing all this to a Comanche, not an XJ, so weight is comparable to a Toyota (minus the drivetrain).

Last edited:
Back