• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCU Cost

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I am going to swap in a TCU from a wrecking yard. How much should I be prepared to pay for one?? The PO said it was blowing the TCU fuse so he just left it out. It shifts great manually and is really fun.

tgregg said:
I am going to swap in a TCU from a wrecking yard. How much should I be prepared to pay for one?? The PO said it was blowing the TCU fuse so he just left it out. It shifts great manually and is really fun.
If there's a bad solonoid in the transmission it will also blow the TCU fuse.

Thanks, it is a 95. If a solenoid is bad will it still shift manually? I am new to the AW4 and appreciate all the help I can get. Any feedback on probability for TCU vs Solenoid being bad?

tgregg said:
Thanks, it is a 95. If a solenoid is bad will it still shift manually? I am new to the AW4 and appreciate all the help I can get. Any feedback on probability for TCU vs Solenoid being bad?
Yes it will, the solenoids are only used buy the TCU for automatic control.

Then which is the more probable problem? I'm guessing solenoid; what do you think? Will solenoid and or TCU show up in error codes? In reading the transmission manual it seems that a bad solenoid would still allow the trans to do some stuff ie: lock up, or shift some gears. But a TCU would kill everything.
What is your thinking? Or experience?

tgregg said:
Then which is the more probable problem? I'm guessing solenoid; what do you think? Will solenoid and or TCU show up in error codes? In reading the transmission manual it seems that a bad solenoid would still allow the trans to do some stuff ie: lock up, or shift some gears. But a TCU would kill everything.
What is your thinking? Or experience?
A bad TCU or electrial problem can kill everything untill you unplug it, then if the tansmission will shift Manualy it's an electrial problem.

Back