• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purchasing a welder

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I want to start to teach myself to weld so that i can do some more metal work with my Jeep. I am not looking for nothing to outrageously expensive, but I want to know what direction to look. I have found 90 AMP Flux Wire Welders, but not knowing too much about any of these I was hoping you guys could set me on the right track.

and you ask why not take a class...Umm no, I have taught myself everything else so far might as well continue.

I puchase a Lincoln HD 100 of ebay brand ney for $240 shipped. I saved $100 or so by finding that deal. Plus the countless # of mods I would have been paying out the :moon: for. I taght my self to weld with a little help from a buddy who already knew how. You can go crazy with it. So crazy that I purchased a Lincoln plsama cutter at a smoking deal. Here is what it used to look like and what it looks like now. Do not get yourself into something you are not ready for! LOL

DSCF0526.jpg

exocage015.jpg

The 90 Flux wire welders are crap. They are only good for thin sheet metal and still weld like crap. Spend a little more money and by a good welder. A 220 volt Lincoln or Miller can't be beat. A Lincoln SP 170 with the gas attachment is a good all around welder.

yeah I just need something that is good all around so I can do some welding of my own when i need to...I mean it sucks having to get every little weld done by taking it to someone.

I have a 90 flux core from HF. Cost around $100 or so. It works great for the price and you can burn through 1/8" steel with it. 3/16" welds OK with it as long as you have a strong power source (10 gauge wires in the wall and no extension cords), forget anything higher though. It does splatter all over and require a lot of cleanup though. I'll be buying a Miller or Hobart 175 sometime in the next year because I want to do a cage and there's no way I'm going to try and clean up the splatter on a cage with a grinder.

Back