• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why is my battery getting drained?

Rem870XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 xj with a less than year old altenator and battery. Just yesterday morning out of hte blue I go to start it and it turns over slower than usual. Well by the time I get it home for my lunch break it won't start and the battery is dead. I had my local autoparts store us there system check on it and the altenator is charging the system and i have no other assecories on the terminals. I trickle charged the battery today and it is bleeding off slowly again again. I think my ignition switch may be bad because awhile back the blower for the heat kept running a few times after I turned the jeep off. I make sure it is off now before I leave the truck. THe question: can there be something pulling enough juice off the battery to make it go dead that runs through the ignition switch or ?. Everything is off and it still does it. Even with the blower off can it be pulling amps somehow? Thanks for any imput!!!

A slight direct ground short? If it sits till everything is cold are the batt cables warm to the touch still? pull the positive cable off the battery, then lightly touch it back to it and see if there is a arch or spark. If your draning it will zap. A stereo memory or clock will draw a very little, so there will be a minute zap from this. Start pulling fuses to isolate things or systems.

Pull the negative cable off and get a test lite and touch it to the battery (negative side) and touch the other side to the cable, pull each fuse one at a time, when the lite goes out you have found where to look for what is discharging the system.
Very simple and you aren't checking all the places you think it might be, if you have something draining the system the lite will lite up.

exact same thing is happening to me. when i turn the xj off the radio stays on. so im going to get a new ignition switch tomorrow ill let you know how it turns out

Cool, I think the problem may have been the battery all along. Pisses me off that is was that simple but wally world gave me a new one since the old one would barely hold a charge. We checked all the fuses and looked for a short but nothing came of it. I guess I'll know for sure after tonight. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back