• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
recently during the downshift from 2nd to 1st, has what i would describe as a "hard' shift, with a noticably audible sound and you feel it in the seat of your pants. this baffles me since the tranny has been flawless in the past. it has 147,000 mi. on it, the fluid is absolutely clean(i change it every5k on average) and the filter is new also. for past 25k i have been runnin AAmco semi-synth fluid and never had any problems or overheating problems. any ideas?

Which kind? Dexron, or the other stuff? You know the AW-4 calls for Dexron/Mercon and not the Chrysler ATF, right?

check yoru u-joints that will cause a thudish sound and can cause some of the feeling your are describing.

bj-666 said:
check yoru u-joints that will cause a thudish sound and can cause some of the feeling your are describing.

x2

had this exact noise and it was the trans mount...The motor mounts are also suspect at that mileage.
What was happening is the engine was "torking" the other way and the transfer case was kissing the floorboard.
both trans and engine mounts are cheap and easy to fix but it can be a little dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Be carefull if you DIY

Back