• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP44 bracketry

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
been looking around and doing some reading. Im picking up a HP44 out of an F150 in the morning. its going in my XJ and im keeping the stock suspension setup (4 link with trackbar).
Questions:
1. Aside from RE's axle bracket kit, where can i buy axle bracketry? ive heard JKS makes control arms mounts but i cant find them anywhere.

2. Will RE's coil spring perches fit on this axle? or have you used RE's bracket kit on this axle? how did it work out?

3. I also thought about cutting the stock bracketry off a D30 and reusing it on the 44 (with reinforcing) to save time. any thoughts?

im saving for chromo shafts, OX joints, gears, etc. this is going to be a slow build in my garage on some jackstands while i keep wheeling the stock drivetrain in my XJ. Im in no hurry and want to do this right. any help is appreciated.

buy some box steel with an inner dimensions that will accept your lca's and cut to desired length notch and weld to axle i used 2x3 box for the uca mounts as well as a piece of 3/8 bent up for the bridge (re's is prob easier) reuse stock spring buckets from either xj or f150 make pad for the buckets to sit on. extend pass spring pad fwd enough to use for stock mounting location tracbar or use some box steel with desired inside dimensions to house the tracbar end. put all together with jb weld and ductape. eye it all because measuering is too dificult.

bj-666 said:
buy some box steel with an inner dimensions that will accept your lca's and cut to desired length notch and weld to axle i used 2x3 box for the uca mounts as well as a piece of 3/8 bent up for the bridge (re's is prob easier) reuse stock spring buckets from either xj or f150 make pad for the buckets to sit on. extend pass spring pad fwd enough to use for stock mounting location tracbar or use some box steel with desired inside dimensions to house the tracbar end. put all together with jb weld and ductape. eye it all because measuering is too dificult.
:thumbup:

im a cheap bastard and did this -

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=621953&postcount=40

i cut off my Inner C's to set castor, so i took advantage of that and made my LAC boxes solid with a hole cut out -
you can see what i mean in this pic -
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/Front-axle-swap/as-of-Aug-1-05/images/IMG_3917.jpg

also - keeping my stock D30 uncut allowed me to check my measurements all the time - not cutting a part off, then going "Oh Sh!t" and not knowing the measurement...

Starboard M said:
Opie, your pics are always to big, or two small. Never inbetween. :laugh3:
have you noticed? his hands are big too...

opie what all stock did you use on your build? specifically the bridge over the diff and the control arm brackets. is it 2" square tube for the control arm brackets?

I go with the RE bracket kit. its stupid easy, no guess work. just measure set and weld. depending on your tube diameter you might need to grind some clearance in the parts to fit the tube right. I was prepping a front D44 tonight for the bracketry kit. I should do most of the welding tomorrow night on it. maybe I'll try and get a picture of it.

I just bought the bracket kit too. Wasn't worth my time to make them, even with a plasma cutter. Like was mentioned, it made it rediculously easy. I used everything but the swaybar brackets (which I need to do).

I got a great deal on the kit from PORC on the Pirate board.

I wasn't aware RE made a 44 kit.
The only bracket kit's I've seen are the TJ kits for 30s.

kid4lyf said:
I wasn't aware RE made a 44 kit.
The only bracket kit's I've seen are the TJ kits for 30s.

RE9968 TJ Axle Bracket Kit Front - Our control arm brackets are laser cut from 3/16" cold rolled steel and then CNC formed for unmatched precision and strength. These brackets are required for cleanly mounting a custom axle in your TJ. Includes all brackets RE9968 through RE9993

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=218

why would RE sell brackets for an axle that comes with all the proper brackets on it already :laugh3:

I will use the whole kit minus the TB bracket. only because this axle is using high steer knuckles so I will fab the TB bracket to match the angle of the drag link. butif I wan't building it high steer then I would use the whole kit.
brokexj said:
Not to hijack, but how much of the bracket kit did you use? Just about everything? What, if anything, did you have to fab up?

olivedrabcj7 said:
opie what all stock did you use on your build? specifically the bridge over the diff and the control arm brackets. is it 2" square tube for the control arm brackets?

the bridge is 3" channel steel with a 1/4" "flat side" if that makes sense...

i used what ever i had laying around...

I ended up using 3.5"x3.5"x1/4" box for the LCA's and then shoving washers in it to make it down to the 2.75" that my LCA's required....

XJ_ranger said:
the bridge is 3" channel steel with a 1/4" "flat side" if that makes sense...

i used what ever i had laying around...

I ended up using 3.5"x3.5"x1/4" box for the LCA's and then shoving washers in it to make it down to the 2.75" that my LCA's required....

ok. im looking through your album... tell me about the UCA mounts.

what size tube did you use on the holes for the bushings?

is it possible to use the ford coil buckets on this axle if i cut them off and move them?

sorry about all the questions but i need all the info i can get.

olivedrabcj7 said:
ok. im looking through your album... tell me about the UCA mounts.

what size tube did you use on the holes for the bushings?

is it possible to use the ford coil buckets on this axle if i cut them off and move them?

sorry about all the questions but i need all the info i can get.

my coil buckets are the ford buckets - mine were bolted to the top of the radius arm in the stock ford configuration and are now welded to the top of the LCA boxes.

The bushings for the UCA's are this
http://www.jksmfg.com/cgi-local/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=C700OGS975

JKS "Cradle for OEM UCA Bushing" C700OGS975

cost me something like $30 shipped and no problem. Bushing fit perfect - all was good.
Buy that part - there is a step in the OEM bushing that is hard to describe, but if you buy a new bushing set, you will understand what i am talking about -
part number (MOO K3128) is what i used for UCA bushings...

thanks. i just now say your build price sheet with part numbers and stuff. man this is helpful!

olivedrabcj7 said:
thanks. i just now say your build price sheet with part numbers and stuff. man this is helpful!
let me know if you decide you need anything....

oh - I was at 6" with short arms before the 44 and it rode like shit! i raised the axle mounts 2" as part of this, and it rides awesome!
something to consider...

kid4lyf said:
Well, I tried to use it on a waggy 44. Nothing fit.
The brackets were all for smaller diameter tubes, The arch was way too small to fit over the pig.
I was told they were designed for a D30.
you dont own a grinder? :D

Back