• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1-ton steering link dimensions

Lawn Cher'

NAXJA Forum User
I need some quick tape measure data... I'm building an inverted-T steering system for a XJ Dana 30, but I haven't bought the Chevy rod ends yet to determine the cut lengths of tube required for making the drag link and tie rod. If you could be so kind as to measure the length of your links if you are running a 1-ton inverted-T system, I would be most appreciative.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll get them for you. I'll have to take mine apart.
Oh... you need the link length, mine is on a D44, not sure it will be the same.

Are you threading the link ends, or welding in inserts? That will affect length also.

My set-up is on a HP44, so I'm really no help to you.

I'm having a shop that I am friendly with drill and tap some 1.25 OD, .25 wall tube. No need to account for welded inserts. Looking for D30 data, thanks anyway D44 guys.

Thanks Opie, it never occurred to me to ask the guy whose design I'm copying!

Have you reamed out the knuckes yet? I still have my old Dana 30 knuckes for sale which have been drilled and reamed for the 1 ton ends. I swaped out the 30 for a HP Dana 44 and need to sell the knuckles. I would give you measurements on the tie rod and drag link but they got modified when I swaped it over onto the 44. Just a few months too late :D

AARON

FrankNBrew said:
I have this on my XJ:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNST&Category_Code=S6

The drag link is 22.5" long and the TIe rod is 41" long. The drag link ends are threaded almost all the way in, so 22" should work better, and the tie rod ends have about 1 1/2" of thread left outside the tierod.
Wow, is that on a D30? Because I measured mine (D44) for someone else doing a 44 and my Tierod is 41" and my drag link is 22". Didn't think the 44 and 30 would be the same.

Back