• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing of Wheels...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
So I'm gonna get some Black Rockcrawlers soon..here's the question...

What do I want for backspacing for 31 x 10.5 tires? Also, what about 32 x 11/5 (I haven't ruled those out yet:))

Thanks,
Sequoia

Do you ever plan to go to 35s or 33s? If so look for 3.75" backspacing.

What size are your wheels? I am running 15x7 with 4.5" of backspacing with 32" Mud Terrains.

Rgds

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the black rockcrawlers? 4wheelparts has them for a decent price, but I've only seen them with 4.25" BS and not 4.5".

SV1CEC said:
What size are your wheels? I am running 15x7 with 4.5" of backspacing with 32" Mud Terrains.

Rgds

Ditto.

15x7s with 4-1/2 BS on 32x10.50 TSL radials... no rub on control arms... everything is still under flairs... on my set up... it's about perfect...

stuff.jpg

xj92 said:
Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the black rockcrawlers? 4wheelparts has them for a decent price, but I've only seen them with 4.25" BS and not 4.5".

4WPW does have the 15x8 in 4.5" BS, 5 on 4½. If they tell you they don't, they're wrong. A couple of customers have gotten this run around. By the way, stay away from the American Racing AR-767 black rims unless you want to take a good chance you'll get new bent rims. I should have listened a long time ago.

Tom

are you guys worried about keeping your tires under the fenders? Is that the reason you're using so little backspacing?

Personally, I have 3.25" on 15x8s with 33x12.50s. I love the extra width, though I'm not too worried about the legal aspect of them sticking out. Yeah, they don't really tuck inside the fender, but that's why the fenders are chopped. I understand that this backspacing will put a little more wear on my unit bearings and ball-joints, but the width is worth it!

I'm not sure that anyone is worried, rather they're attempting to strike a balance between lift height, fender trimming, and less backspacing. Obviously, the goal is to avoid hitting the control arms, allow for good tire stuffage, and to provide stability to a lifted rig.

I do think one can extend the tires out too far using too little backspacing. However, I think it really depends on the lift height. Besides the funny look, you can prematurely wear out ball joints and bearings as you appropriately mentioned. Not only that, it usually negatively affects steering. And some states do enforce the law concerning the tires and fender coverage, so I can only assume some Jeepers here prefer to be responsible by following the state statutes.

Im running 15X8 with 4 inch backspacing and Mine still tuck with a little trimming.

So I'm gonna get some Black Rockcrawlers soon..here's the question...

What do I want for backspacing for 31 x 10.5 tires? Also, what about 32 x 11/5 (I haven't ruled those out yet:))

Thanks,
Sequoia

i mean come on man what's an extra inch? your deep enough that it shouldn't even matter right?

Back