• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid question here...

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright so i know that soon i will buy some disco's for the front, but i was wondering if in the meantime i want to go wheeling, if i can just get under and unbolt the swaybar where it connects to the body, then secure it somehow. i know its more time consuming, but is that alright to do?

Just remove the sway bar links & secure the sway bar up & out of the way. JIM.

alright, cool, just didn't know if there was something about the disco's that made it different from just unbolting the swaybar.

thanks

Nah - using disconnects is similar (in result) to manually disconnecting the anti-roll bar - the discos just make it a lot easier. They usually change the job from pulling bolts (which are, I think, either reverse Torx or just a huge pain to get off!) to a matter of pulling a couple pins and disconnecting a link or removing a tubular link.

NOTE - if you do unbolt the swaybar, have some anti-seize handy so you can put it on if/when you reconnect it - that will make it loads easier to disconnect next time you do, and loads easier to install the links (since the bolts won't be as difficult to break loose then.) Use good stuff - I use either Permatex nickel-based stuff (comes in a grey bottle) or some copper-base that I got from an MRO shop locally (I use that for spark plugs, and any high-heat application.)

You might want to have some penetrating oil of some sort to spray on a few times, before you "break" the bolts the first time. I can't recall the name of the stuff recommended here offhand (although I've got a few cans of it out there,) but applying some air-tool oil or automatic transmission fluid several times and letting it soak into the joint is much better than nothing...

PB Blaster - that's the name of the good stuff. I keep feeling around for memories I've lost, but so far, it just seems to be that I have a more difficult time locating the file...

5-90

Back