• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Those with hydraulic winches-chime in!

hotrod22

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 2-speed Mile Marker hydraulic winch (75 series-10.5K)from a friend and I have some questions. Does anybody have pics of the hydraulic lines/connections? I'm trying to figure if I HAVE TO get the $60 kit (hoses,fittings,etc...)from Mile Marker for my 95 XJ. You see, another friend owns a hydraulic hose shop from which I can get a "preferred discount" but I don't know exactly what comes in the "kit" to try to copy. Any advice would be great!(tips on line routing, install tricks, pump mods,etc...)

Get the winch, have your buddy make the hoses.

BUT

For $60 is it really worth messing around?

Route the lines where they will fit and not rub anything. Get a cooler. No pump mods needed, nor will they help.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Get the winch, have your buddy make the hoses.

BUT

For $60 is it really worth messing around?

Route the lines where they will fit and not rub anything. Get a cooler. No pump mods needed, nor will they help.

Rev

Better yet, run the winch off of your PTO port. Oh wait, nevermind........

CRASH said:
Better yet, run the winch off of your PTO port. Oh wait, nevermind........

I don't know why, but that reminds me of the time my wife calls me at work and says that my friend "found" a spare winch at work (he works for osha). She said that he brought it over and was right now installing it for me.

I was like WOW - WOW - WOW! :thumbup:

When I got home I raced out to the garage only to find a pink Barbie Jeep winch on the front of my Jeep - held on with twist-ties.

I was SOOOOOOOOOOO pissed! :smsoap:

RTicUL8 said:
I don't know why, but that reminds me of the time my wife calls me at work and says that my friend "found" a spare winch at work (he works for osha). She said that he brought it over and was right now installing it for me.

When I got home I raced out to the garage only to find a pink Barbie Jeep winch on the front of my Jeep - held on with twist-ties.

:laugh: :laugh:

That's good, almost as funny as....... :gag:

:)

OK...
PICT0005.JPG

Sorry for the out of focus...it is really buried under there.
PICT0006.JPG

HTH

Rev

Thanx for the pics, still a little fuzzy about where each hose attaches at the pump. Which is the inlet and outlet on the pump? I'm assuming I'll need 2 T's to link the winch into the system, right? Or does the high pressure line on the pump, now goes to the inlet on the winch, then from the outlet on the winch to the pump?

Last edited:
hotrod22 said:
Thanx for the pics, still a little fuzzy about where each hose attaches at the pump. Which is the inlet and outlet on the pump? I'm assuming I'll need 2 T's to link the winch into the system, right? Or does the high pressure line on the pump, now goes to the inlet on the winch, then from the outlet on the winch to the pump?

High pressure from pump to inlet of winch, from outlet of winch to inlet of steering gear, from outlet of steering gear back to pump.

Has anyone set up a seperate hydro pump and reservoir to run the winch? Im thinking about getting a hydro winch but im a little concerned about the stress it will put on the power steering pump.

Freaky McPants said:
Has anyone set up a seperate hydro pump and reservoir to run the winch? Im thinking about getting a hydro winch but im a little concerned about the stress it will put on the power steering pump.

A guy on pirate did it. ended up using a bad ass pump which made it faster than an electric.

RTicUL8 said:

LOL!! That would suck!

You will love the winch I was a mechanic in Iraq and we had those on all our humvee's and they never gave us any problem so after I got home and started to build my xj I got one. Im hooking mine up with a hydro booster brake booster also so My line routing wont do you any good. just be sure to use good quality fluid have a cooler and If its new Id install an inline filter. once you get it in run your line in and out a couple of times in both speeds to bleed off any air bubbles.:laugh3:

Im a hydraulics mechanic in the Airforce, so thats kind of my reasoning for wanting to get a hydro winch. I'm heading to Iraq in october so I'm probably going to get one when I get back.

wow, you guys are the first to not try and diss the winch. I knew they used these models in the military now and did away with the warn electric for these reliable units. I am missing a hose but I am sure I can get one fabbed up and I want to run decent size cooler too. I wonder what pump that guy was using? His V-TECH just kicked in.

Back