• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problem

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
here recently my Jeep has been reving higher then it should on hard take offs and on the highway(60+mph).

the other day when i was leaving work, i floored it and it reved to 5200rpm b4 shifting into 2nd and later on down the road completely slipped out of gear(engine reved and went no where). I pulled over, turned her off and started it back up and it worked just fine. If i give it some gas while turning i can feel the tranny kinda "catch" and i get a sudden boost of power.

here lately i have noticed it shifting early or late, but it hasnt been slipping until last night. Is this an electrical problem? seems like my torque converter is not locking/unlocking like it should. did my torque converter bite the dust? or what am i looking at here?

fluid level is fine, and doesnt smell burnt altho it is a lil dark, its still red but im going to change the fluid/filter whenever i have the time.

Keep in mind: I just replaced the transmission myself a year ago when i converted to 4wd. I bought it from a guy who claimed it only had 5000 miles on it after a rebuild. the tranny was clean and the rtv was fresh so i took his word for it. I also changed the fluid/ filter when i put it in my Jeep.

ive also noticed a new noise here in the past week... its pretty faint and ive havent had trouble with anything till yesterday so i havent given much attention to it.... almost sounds like the faint whine of a power steering pump comming from my bell housing

Last edited:
Going with the general assumption that the AW4 is a very reliable transmission - an assumption but a fairly reliable one based on people's experience - I would look at auxilary items first. In descending order: TPS, transmission solenoids, TCU. Of course, I am assuming fluid and filter are fine on it.
BSD

i replaced my TPS just a while ago and i noticed a instant change in pick up... now its shifting early and it seems like i still cant get into over drive or that my torque converter isnt locking up (revs to 2k on anything over 55mph)

I stopped by a very reputable automatic transmission shop this morning and talked to a guy trying to do some trouble shooting, he told me the first thing i should look at would be the TPS.

well i did that but now thats its replaced im still having some problems.... argh!

pull the cover pull the filter check resistance on solenoids should abe 11-15ohms (99% sure on the resistance numbers may want to double check that) i hate to say it but it sounds like the tranny had a few more than 5k on it or the shop rebuilt it wrong. slipping isn't usualy a sign of bad solenoids unless they are sticking it in 4th or something. try pulling the fuse for the tcu and driving it with the shift lever 1-2, 3, d 1st shifts to 2nd at a very high rpm so just run 1,3,d there will be not tc lockup but these gears should feel firm as you shift thru them. rember it's like driving a manual so don't try to take off in d or cruize in 1 with the fuse pulled.

well tomorrow is my day off so ill change the fluid and filter and check the silenoids while im at it

and what are some symptoms of a torque converter gone bad? these problems just started 2 days ago, so i dont think im lookin at a rebuild unless the hydrolic pump went out?

Anyboby know where to find the TCU !! in an 1999 jeep cherokee.It is not under the glove box like earlier models as the glove box is lower in my case.
Cheers.

NZjeep said:
Anyboby know where to find the TCU !! in an 1999 jeep cherokee.It is not under the glove box like earlier models as the glove box is lower in my case.
Cheers.
behind the console/dash near the gas pedal

but I'm assuming being in NZ yours is right hand drive, so it's probably near the brake pedal by the tranny tunnel.

Back