• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56s and Powertrax No-Slip installed, question:

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I had a friend of mine to this install for me since he is a mechanic, but he told me he never dealt with an 8.25 or Powertrax before. Anyways the gears seem perfect no whine and YES power is back, haha.

My question is about the Powertrax, it seems to pop or click alot around turns and all, which I am assuming is it unlocking and locking. I also noticed when I put it into drive I have alot more backlash like the manual said I might have. Instead of a "thump" its now more of a "Bang" when going into drive. I am mainly wondering if everyone with one of these has the same expeirence? Any time I turn or what not it will pop pop pop pop pop, nothing real real loud or anything that jolts the Jeep just a sound....I wasn't sure it would be this loud, but I can get use to it. I am just making sure this sounds like correct operation?

Seems like everyone said it was "silent" or "un-noticible", which it is on the interstate or going straight. I just want to make sure its installed correctly, I cna live with the noise knowing its doing what it should.

Well after searching I am wondering how everyones acts around turns? I keep seeing people say it unlocks, then locks back up when going straight. Well mine isn't real loud, but it unlocks more than once going around turns (I guess) its a pop pop pop pop pop kinda thing so I just want to make sure this is okay?

Some people dont hear them, some say they sound like a trash truck coming down the street...luck of the draw i guess. As long as the function test checked out fine and it seems to work properly and not make any hellacious noises(grinding, LOUD clunks/bangs, etc), i wouldnt worry about it.

Jeffro600 said:
Some people dont hear them, some say they sound like a trash truck coming down the street...luck of the draw i guess. As long as the function test checked out fine and it seems to work properly and not make any hellacious noises(grinding, LOUD clunks/bangs, etc), i wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks, yeah a little worried, it definately pops multiple times going into a corner (drive-thru, driveway, etc), but its not loud (had my radio off). After readin 14 pages from searching I didn't really see this mentioned. I saw people saying it will pop when it unlock and pop when it locks back, but mine does way more than one or two pops around corners. In a straight line its like its not there, but around corners its almost like a rachet or something pop pop pop pop pop...then go staright and nothing.

The unit is about 1-2 years old, but was brand new and I hear they get quiter the more miles you put on them, I might have 25 miles on it.

I can tell you anything about the powertrax as far as noise level goes. But I have a detroit ez-locker and I believe they function the same way. The noise you are hearing is normal as long as it only does it when cornering. If it does it when going straight you could have a problem (such as two different tire sizes on that axle). Also it might not make the noises on turns. That could be considered a problem also because that means one tire is getting dragged along, which will result in accelerated tire wear. That will happen every once in a while. Also what I have noticed wiht my ez-locker is that the first pop is the loudest, especially when going slow and making a sharp turn (like backing out of a parking space). But if I'm taking a moderate turn going about 25 then I don't even notice it.

1. make sure your pressure is even between the tires
2. what gear lube are you using? I ran 85~140 synth blend and it felt real good: no bangs no clunks

Okay thanks.

I am getting worried cause I posted this on Jeepin.com and am being told a Powertrax No-Slip should not pop pop pop pop around corners. I was told that something about a paddle spacer or something might be broken from forcing the locker in. So I call my friend who did the install and he said it went in easy and he tested it by jacking it up in the air and turning the tires and by taking on a gravel road and spinning the tires and it does lock and unlock.

Do they all act a little different or is something screwed up? Its silent going staraight, but pops (especially off the gas) when turning.

Kejtar said:
1. make sure your pressure is even between the tires
2. what gear lube are you using? I ran 85~140 synth blend and it felt real good: no bangs no clunks

I'll check tire #s tommorow, the guy used 85-90.

ZachMan said:
I am getting worried cause I posted this on Jeepin.com and am being told a Powertrax No-Slip should not pop pop pop pop around corners like a Detroit (quieter and smoother)
:bs: They should be somewhat same, although detroit might be a bit smoother, but definately not the other way around.

I was told that something about a paddle spacer or something might be broken from forcing the locker in. So I call my friend who did the install and he said it went in easy and he tested it by jacking it up in the air and turning the tires and by taking on a gravel road and spinning the tires and it does lock and unlock.

Do they all act a little different or is something screwed up? Its silent going staraight, but pops (especially off the gas) when turning.
You still have that check block that comes in the package? Pop open the cover and check the spacing all the way around.

Kejtar said:
:bs: They should be somewhat same, although detroit might be a bit smoother, but definately not the other way around.

You still have that check block that comes in the package? Pop open the cover and check the spacing all the way around.

I meant the Powertrax is smoother and quieter, it doesn't jerk me around like my friends Detroited TJ.

I do not, I don't think...I'll check in the morning.

Jim63 said:
my No slip doesnt make any noise at all it did a little at first but now i dont even know its there

Maybe I should wait, it only has 20-25 miles on it.

I am also getting the opposite info from others say that theirs rachet around corners too...so heck I don't know. As long as nothing breaks or keeps me from getting to work I am okay.

Kejtar said:
Get heavier gear oil. Makes a lot of difference.

So you reccomend 85-140? Can that be found at the auto parts store or the dealership? Sounds thiiick.

ZachMan said:
So you reccomend 85-140? Can that be found at the auto parts store or the dealership? Sounds thiiick.
Valvoline durablend 85-140: that's what I ran till I got a great deal on a full synthetic valvoline 85-140. I am actually running that both front and rear.

Kejtar said:
Valvoline durablend 85-140: that's what I ran till I got a great deal on a full synthetic valvoline 85-140. I am actually running that both front and rear.

Thanks...so change it asap or wait the 500 miles when I need to do it anyways? If nothing is gonna F-up, I'll just wait since I drive 300 miles a week.

ZachMan said:
The unit is about 1-2 years old, but was brand new and I hear they get quiter the more miles you put on them, I might have 25 miles on it.

So it's a used unit? Did you install it with a new spring kit?

ZachMan said:
Thanks...so change it asap or wait the 500 miles when I need to do it anyways? If nothing is gonna F-up, I'll just wait since I drive 300 miles a week.
If it feels ok, no reason to pop the cover. If it feels bad, pop it and inspect it and well, fill with the other lube.

Back