• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock axles + big tires

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
ok i wasnt sure how to go about searching so i didnt find what i was looking for

if some one could point me in the right way as far as link to another post or site

i need to know what precations or steps i need to take to run 33's-35's
on stock axles D30/D35

My jeep is a daily driver and i'll admit to being a mall crawler, i only wheel like once or twice a month, mud and rocks

thanks

cas

i know im gonna get flamed and some u guys are just gonna tell me to swap axles but i dont have the money right now, so if u can help thanks in advance

search.jpg

best bet would be gears to maintain drivability

if you don't have money for axles then your sure not gonna be happy when you have to dish out that money unexpectadly when you break an axle. stay with a small tire 31's at most with that d35 and have fun wheelin and not worrying about breakign something everytime you touch the throttle.

From my experience, and the experience of a local club I belong to...

If you run open diffs, 33" tires on a Dana 35 are ok. Add a locker, and expect to twist shafts.

I'm currently running 33s, with an open diff, and plan on continuing to wheel the snot out of it. When I put my D44 in, and lock it, I'll have no more worries.

Just what we've seen over the last 3 or more years. We've yet to have to pull anyone off the trail because of their D35.

We did do trail repair, but that was a D35 with a locker, sporting 35s. He had spare axles in his box. He knew he was on borrowed time.

Erik

cassio said:
ok i wasnt sure how to go about searching so i didnt find what i was looking for

if some one could point me in the right way as far as link to another post or site

on stock axles D30/D35

My jeep is a daily driver and i'll admit to being a mall crawler, i only wheel like once or twice a month, mud and rocks

thanks

cas

i know im gonna get flamed and some u guys are just gonna tell me to swap axles but i dont have the money right now, so if u can help thanks in advance

you will need to get chromoly axles for the D35
and regear to prolly 4:11 or 4:56 dpending on whether you have stick or an auto
you could get by with not regearing but your gas mileage is gonna suck and yoiu will have no low end power
you could just slap on the 35's but you WILL break an axle

I understand what you mean about $$$ and swaping axles ..but consider this
it might be cheaper to swap in a chrysler 29 spline axle than to buy a set of chromoly dana 35 axle shafts..depending on where you live ie ..junk yard prices

heres a copy of a search in TX near you for a 29 slpline chrysler that could handle 35" tires

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 8.25,CHRY,355,4.0L,A T,2X4,55K 56,000 #4202805 $150 Morrison Auto Parts USA-TX(Mustang-Ridge) E-mail 1-800-460-3893

go get the axle install new brakes in it , change the fluid in the diff
and put them 35" tires on it..
I ran 35" tires on a 27 spline chrysler , 3:55 gears, with a locker and never broke an axle
including 3 trips to MOAB and runnin 4+ trails

Last edited:
where does everyone get the 44's? are they just bolt in? or what needs to be done to make them fit?

funvtec said:
where does everyone get the 44's? are they just bolt in? or what needs to be done to make them fit?
make sure the gearing is the same as yoiur front
they swap right in

here s one really near you

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 12-05 05M012 $249.95 PRP - Williams Auto Salvage - KOLT USA-TX(Houston) E-mail 1-800-969-2015 187

funvtec said:

They are out there but getting harder to find because they are mostly in 87' XJs with the tow package. You could find them in 88's and 89's as well, but not as frequently. When I go to the junk yard and see a 87' I don't hesitate to look under it to see if it has a dana 44 rear axle. I've found 2 in the last year in Sacramento. If you find 1 great, otherwise I'd say to get a 97'+ 8.25 rear axle that has 29 spline axle shafts, or better yet a 95'+ Ford 8.8 out of a Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer. These have 31 spline shafts and nice disc brakes and the same 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and about the same width as a XJ, they are slightly narrower, so you might want to add spacers if you don't plan on wider rims with less backspacing.

Troy

cassio said:

on stock axles D30/D35

thanks

cas

It would help to know how much money you are willing to spend. Assuming you have little to none, for sure stick with the 33's. If you run open diffs and stay out of the throttle, you might be OK. It mostly comes down to driving style. Don't let it bounce, don't floor it, and keep out of situations where a tire is bound like up against a ledge or backing into a bank.

VegasAnthony said:
make sure the gearing is the same as yoiur front
they swap right in

here s one really near you

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 12-05 05M012 $249.95 PRP - Williams Auto Salvage - KOLT USA-TX(Houston) E-mail 1-800-969-2015 187

woah i got all excited until i read houston lol i live near Milwaukee Wisconsin

cool thanks i know what to look for now

This will make some of you sick.

I got an 87 for FREE. With the D44, without a towing package.

The engine is crap, so all the usable stuff will be going onto the 95 I purchased recently.

Rumor has it, that some of the XJ that were built for Police/Military use were also equipped with D44s.

FunVtec, the "Metric Ton" equipped MJs came with D44s, but you would have to have the spring perches moved to the top of the axle.

Erik

Trailbst said:
I got an 87 for FREE. With the D44, without a towing package.

Erik

I've never seen an '87 without a D44.

dothedew24_7 said:
Good gawd- do you have enough tool bars?

bahaha that is exactly what i was thinking 1/4 of his screen is taken up by toolbars.

Goatman said:
I've never seen an '87 without a D44.

ditto

ohhh wait

I correct myself
I bought a 87 ($250), took my D44 out
sold it ($150) with my cryco 8.25 in it

so yea I guess I have seen one ;)

Last edited:
funvtec said:
woah i got all excited until i read houston lol i live near Milwaukee Wisconsin

cool thanks i know what to look for now

my bad I thought the original poster had asked where to get a D44

next time mention that you are hijacking the post:)

heres one for you but its 316 miles from ya

quite the ride

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 4.0L,EFI,4X4,ATOD 182,000 5G0565 $350 Balows Highway 7 Auto Salvage USA-MN(Lester-Prairie) E-mail 1-888-395-7278 316

or

257 miles

Rear Axle
Jeep Cherokee 3.55 GEAR 990030 $450 Northtown Auto Parts USA-OH(Toledo) E-mail 1-800-430-6610 257

so is the front D30 strong enough for 36's or do those need upgraded too?? Im looking for a D44 or exploder 8.8 for the rear right now. Once I find out about the front axle then I can locate em and buy my gears.

Back