• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd Gear in the AW4

byu_xj

NAXJA Forum User
1995 Jeep cherokee, Current milage 96,000
4 inches lift 33" tires.
Stock gears, t-case, and trany.

The AW4 was rebuilt at the shop at 75,000 and I have not changed the fluid yet. The jeep has been working fine since the rebuild until about 1 month ago. I did the rebuild 1 1/2 years ago because of the exact same symtoms that I descibe bellow.

Here are the Simptoms:
  • The jeep will not downshift from 3rd gear into 2. While traveling at 35 MPH with the lever in the 3 position I can put it into 1-2 and it will shift into 2nd. If I keep the jeep above 30 MPH I can drive normal in 2nd.
  • While in 1-2 If instead I just coast and let the jeep slow down it will hard shift into 1st at 25 MPH. If I then step on the gas it will not upshift into 2nd. I do not have tach but I can easily go 40 without any upshift.
  • It seems to hold and accelerate in all gears in the proper power range just fine. I do not notice any slipping. Obviously when I slow to 25 MPH while the lever is in 3 the TQ converter will screen at me but when I am above 35 MPH 3 will work fine.
  • With the lever in 1-2 at 30 MPH I can gently rock it forward and cox the jeep to shift to 2nd. I am not even close to putting the lever in 3. I can drive like this and if I can get it above 35 then it will not drop back into 1st. However it is a little tricky.
  • Typically I will start in 1-2 accelerate to 30 MPH and throw the lever into 3 then drop it back into 1-2 when I reach 35 MPH.

Here is what I have checked:
  • I took the jeep to AAMCO to have free diagnostic. (I am not sure why I wasted my time) The drained a little fluid and said they found metal. I did not ask to see it as I plan to flush the system tomorrow again. They read the codes and said that he 1st and 2nd solenoid were bad. I am not certain that I believe this either. They told me that they would give me a complete rebuild for ....... $2400! I did not laugh right out loud but I picked my jeep up the next morning and will not go back to that monkey house.
  • I do not have a multi-meter so I simply changed the TPS in hopes that it was the cause. No change at all.
  • I reset the throttle linkage adjustment. No change in any of the behavior above.
  • I checked the fluid level and it looks Red and does not smell burnt. I will drain it tomorrow over a magnet to see if I can pickup any metal. I checked the fluid level about 1 month ago when I started having trouble and it was a little above full. I drained it to the proper level. I picked up the jeep from AAMACO today and checked the level. It was actually very HIGH!!! I did not check it right before taking it to them but I am still very disturbed.

So there is the backgound. Here are my questions.

• What keeps the jeep in 2nd gear when it is in 1-2?
  • What causes it to downshift out of 3rd? It is a force balance between springs and weights right?
  • How do the solenoids affect this process? Do they force the clutch closed?
  • If by using the shifting methods above I can drive in 2nd without any trouble why will not down shift in to 2nd from 3rd? And Why will it not upshift from 1st into 2nd?
  • Is this caused by the 1 and 2 solinoids that AAMACO says are bad?

When I drain the pan I will know more about the shape of the internal parts. But I suspect that all the clutches and pads are in good condition. I will update after I drain the system tomorrow.

By the way what is the recommended seafoam cleaning steps for an AW4?

The tranny is mostly electronic.You need to use a DRB scan tool to verify the problems.but it seems that you have a valve body problem or a faulty solenoid.
Wayne

Worse comes to worse and you have to reaplace it, get a AWshifter. You cna manually sleect gfears and TC lockup. I know its not factory, but if yo uwant ot save a bit of cash.

Are there external electrical connections to the solenoids?
Is there a way that I can test if the solenoid has failed? I suspect with a Multi-meter I can measure resistance and voltages if I can isolate/identify the correct circuit.

While I am excited to install an AWshifter I believe that it would also rely on the solenoids to determine the correct gears. So if you have a bad solenoid the AWshifter would not work. I wish that I had one installed now. I think that it would help me work through this problem.

I suspect that this is a solenoid problem. When I do a search for "AW4 solenoids" I find other people that descibe similar symptoms. I will get a multi-meter and do some research on how to test these solenoids. One post that I read (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20827&highlight=replace+aw4+solenoid) mentioned testing at the TCU. I will try to figure out how to do this first.

There is a write up on this board somewhere about getting your trans to stay in what gear you wabt it to and switching gears via switches.unders the dash on the onlder xj is the trans computer (i think thats what its called)It controls the silinods.

Search for that if you just want to control your trany like it seems.

The tps feedsback to computer and tells tranny when to shift, and how hard, there is an fault here somewhere, this is not for an parts swapper, get an good shop to run right scan on it. don't be scaried of a little metal in trans pan thats normal. Clutches and bands wear and guess where it ends up, thats an old trick. an good shop can hook up tranny and road test it with tool to manually shift it with out aid of computer that tell you status of actual tranny. if solinoids are bad it does not take tranny removal or overhaul unless you drive it into the ground and cause internal issues. Good Luck

summitlt said:
Worse comes to worse and you have to reaplace it, get a AWshifter. You cna manually sleect gfears and TC lockup. I know its not factory, but if yo uwant ot save a bit of cash.
You still need a properly working transmission to start with.

byu_xj said:
Are there external electrical connections to the solenoids?
Is there a way that I can test if the solenoid has failed? I suspect with a Multi-meter I can measure resistance and voltages if I can isolate/identify the correct circuit.

While I am excited to install an AWshifter I believe that it would also rely on the solenoids to determine the correct gears. So if you have a bad solenoid the AWshifter would not work. I wish that I had one installed now. I think that it would help me work through this problem.

I suspect that this is a solenoid problem. When I do a search for "AW4 solenoids" I find other people that descibe similar symptoms. I will get a multi-meter and do some research on how to test these solenoids. One post that I read (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20827&highlight=replace+aw4+solenoid) mentioned testing at the TCU. I will try to figure out how to do this first.

A scan tool will tell you where to look without droping the pan to check the solenoids.Solenoid resistance wii be 11-15 ohms.Replace if resistance is above or below spec range.
Wayne

When you say scan tool are you talking about a digital volt meter or multi-meter. Or are you refering to another type of tool?

Where would you suggest that I test this circuit without pulling the pan? I am planning to test at the TCU using a multi-meter that will measure resistance.

byu_xj said:
When you say scan tool are you talking about a digital volt meter or multi-meter. Or are you refering to another type of tool?

Where would you suggest that I test this circuit without pulling the pan? I am planning to test at the TCU using a multi-meter that will measure resistance.
A DRB scan tool. And a multi-meter to check resistance.They are not the same tool.
Wayne

pull the cover pull the screen filter there should be three wires leading to the solenoids pull the wires and check the resistance with an ohm meter should be about 11-15 ohms if it's different from that they are bad and need to be replaced.
pm me i have some more info if you need it

Last edited:
HI, The following address will give you help to lock your jeep in 2nd gear if this is of any help. www.go.jeep-xj.info Mine is a 1999 jeep and I wanted to be able to hold mine in 2nd but mine is different than the one in the above address.The glove box is in a different position;does any body know where to find this electronic part in a 1999 jeep.You can wire the auto to stay in second with the flick of a switch...Thanks.

Can't delete my threads for some reason, so retracting my earlier comments. Having re-read the original post, I realise that I missed some rather salient info that pretty well negates a large chunk of what I said.

Last edited:
Back