• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rev 44 in the Back?

Lincoln

NAXJA Member #321
NAXJA Member
This isn't really a XJ/MJ question, but...

How do think a Rev 44 would hold up in a Wrangler behind a 4 popper and a 5 speed with 4.88's. It currently has 33's and I don't see him going to 35's in the near future.

The reason I'm thinking about it is I the Wrangler still has a 35 c-clip in it. We had planned on a 8.8 Ford this winter. I have a 44 front from a '78 Ford laying on the floor of my garage. It will probably cost a little more by the time the housing ends, brakes, and shafts are in, but I was thinking the high pinion might work out better since the drive line is so short.

Also, if I did it should I just scavange ends off of something else or go for a set of premade ends? Style?

Thanks,
Lincoln

It would probably hold up fine with 33s and a 4 banger, but I think you would be much better off selling that axle and buying an XJ/MJ D44 or Ford 8.8. You could probably make money off doing that, versus spending lots to get the HP retubed, ends, brakes, and custom shafts.

Agree with MadMax. HP 44's from Ford trucks were not designed for constant drive duty, and therefore have oiling problems when subject to any sort of pinion angle. The upper pinion bearing just does not get enough fluid and burns up.

RS 60's have the same problem, except the aftermarket housings, which are designed with better slingers, oil reservoirs and oil passage tubes.

CRASH

I've been home sick for four day's now and I guess it's been affecting my memory. I knew about the oiling issue.

I guess I"ll add it to the SELL pile. Oh wait, I guess I need to decide which pile of crap is the sell pile. :)

Yes, that's it. If I sell some of my junk instead of trying to find noble uses for it, maybe I could put A/C in the pickup. Thursday the temp was 120 :flame: in the cab by the time I got home.

Thanks for the reminder,
Lincoln

Lincoln said:
Yes, that's it. If I sell some of my junk instead of trying to find noble uses for it, maybe I could put A/C in the pickup. Thursday the temp was 120 :flame: in the cab by the time I got home.

Just take the doors off :cool: It's been over a hundred a lot lately here in NorCal, and I don't have AC, and my truck is flat-black. But with the doors off, all is good.

Hmmm??????

But, someone might take my 1980 Kraco tape deck. :) That thing has to be an antique.

Thanks,
Lincoln

reverse dana 44 is about the same strength as a stock dana 35, but has larger ring gear and 30 splines, etc. Also, like others have said, your oil is not there/not designed for rear applications by ford.

You can't compare a 44 and a 35. Bigger housing, bigger tubes, bigger brakes, pretty sure the shaft size is the same and that's it. I can carry a empty 35 under one arm to the dumpster (ask me how I know), try that with a 44.

Lincoln, you should take that HP off the sell pile and put it on the give it to Sean pile :D

Getting sold this week.

I looked a newer pickup tonight and if I decide to buy it I'm going to need a little cash. The wife almost has me convinced.

She say's she likes the idea of not having to share the front seat with the dog (not me) and A/C. Some day's I just don't know what's wrong with her. :)

Later,
Lincoln

Back