• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a sanity check for the upcoming build

ronlarimer

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to NAXJA and other Jeep forums, but I have been an active member in Miata and SV650 forums for about 5 years. My Miata had a fully adjustable suspension, roll bar, 6pt harnesses and some subtle exterior mods and my SV is fairly highly modified with suspension, dual headlights, clip-ons, rear sets, brake lines, new gearing, et cetera; so I am familiar with some of the pitfalls of modifying vehicles.

With the addition of a new son the Miata has been sold and I bought a Acura TL, the wife has decided she wants it which frees me up for a new toy and I have started searching for an XJ that will be a daily driver, but since I work from home and have the TL as a family vehicle will see relatively low mileage. I am completely green to the "sport"/hobby and want do the build progressively until I find the limit of my commitment to the sport. With the possibility of it becoming a dedicated trail rig at some point in the future. (3 years)

After lurking for a couple of days this is what I am thinking, with my budget, please pick it apart and point out anything I have missed.

** STAGE 1 - MALL CRAWLER **

650 - Suspension Lift - Rubicon Express RE6010
100 - Slip Yoke Eliminator - Rubicon Express RE1807 (hack and tap)
300 - CV Drive Shaft - Rubicon Express RE1898
60 - Brake Lines - TJ Steel Braided
150 - CB Radio
400 - Wheels - MT Classic II (15*8)
500 - Tires - 31*10.5*15
140 - Misc
-----

** STAGE 2 - "SPORTSMAN" **

75 - Recovery Hooks
250 - Roof Rack -
75 - High Lift Jack
265 - Rock Guards - C4x4 CF-XJ-RNB
750 - Skid Plates - Engine, Transfer Case, Differential Skid, Gas Tank
85 - Misc
-----

** STAGE 3 - OFF-ROADER **

500 - Front Bumper
500 - Rear Bumper
850 - Wench
150 - Misc
-----

Other parts would get upgraded if they break and quikloc's would be added if needed.

I would like to see what you all think of this as a dual purpose street/trail rig? What can be done cheaper with out sacrifice?

Move tow hooks to the top of the list. It should be the first mod any one makes to an off road vehicle. Unless you stay in your driveway, you WILL get stuck. Other than that, looks like a plan. And Welcome! :wave:

Do a little more "lurking" around here. You will find this discussed regularly with lots of good advice.

If you want a mall wheeler that looks good, buy all means do the lift wheels and tires first. But if you really want to try the off road thing you need to start with tow points, skids, and protection before you worry about lifts and tires.

There are lots of ways to save money at each step along the way, depends on your priorties and your intent. Personally I would not get new wheels for 31's. But I would for 33's and up.

Search some more, you will find tons more info. And then reasearch each step again as you are prepared for it.

Michael

I'd go a different route. but first off what year is the jeep?
I'd go with a budget 3" lift, coils, AAL's. shocks, trackbar and brake lines.
instead of the hackntap do a t-case drop till you have the coin for a rear SYE.
add rockers and tow points. hold off on the wheels and mount the 31"s on your stock wheels.
if you have a D35 then leave it open. if you have an 8.25 then toss a lunchbox locker into it.

stage II... welcome to the sickness... its called Inchitis. it causes you to become obsesed with words and phrases relating to size... its not big enough. gotta go bigger.
the 31" tires will grow into 33"s and then 35"s at some point. the 3" lift will grow longer arms and become a 6" lift overnight. Thats called Jeep puberty... :laugh3:

ronlarimer said:

500 - Front Bumper
500 - Rear Bumper
850 - Wench
150 - Misc
-----

Waaaay too much for a wench...

can usually be had for a few shots of tequila...

although...

they should be mandatory equipment for NAXJA events.

:D

i would find a cheaper cb than 150 bucks........

i would factor in gears/lockers, lockers at the least...

If you are "green" and want to become a offroad "hobbyist", I would flip flop stage 1 and stage 2. You may not even like off roading. Its hard to believe but some people dont like it. You dont need a lift and big tires to figure out if you like it or not, you just need to get out and do it. By throwing in a tall lift and big tires with zero experience, you are asking for trouble. After four wheeling it basically stock for awhile (maybe add a BB and some nice 30s to make up for height lost to skids and equipment). You may find that you have a love for it. Then you can skip the 31s and go straight to long arms and 33s, thereby saving a butt load of money. Get some experience and find out what kind of off roading you want to do before commiting so much money and time to a lift and tires. See what others in your area are running. The trails you ride and the people you wheel with will influence modification decisions. Ignore all of this if you are in it just for the look. Thats not my bag but it is for some people.

Got bored, so I thought I would mess with your list.

This is what I would do/did/doing. Not adding more than necessary, but having found out what is priority. Going out with the locals will get you experience and show what else you think you need. I will leave my mods out of this.

Recovery Hooks/D-Rings - Front and Rear

High Lift Jack, Two Straps - Get everything required to go on a NAXJA Run.

Skid Plates - Engine, Transfer Case, Differential Skid, Gas Tank

CB Radio - Not that expensive, work it in whenever you have time.

Suspension Lift - Rubicon Express RE6030. Get full leaf packs.
Slip Yoke Eliminator - Go through Tom Woods and get the driveshaft at the same time. These parts are virtually necessary with the lift.
Driveshaft - Local HIGHLY recommended shop, or Tom Woods

Wheels - MT Classic II (15*8). Get whatever floats you boat.
Tires - 31*10.5*15, I am running BFG's but will be switching over to Retreads, or more likely Truxus.

I need to add OBA or CO2 in your list by this point.

Rock Rails

Front Bumper
or
Rear Bumper
The first bumper you replace is the one you destroy first.

Winch - Look into this whenever you plan on getting the front bumper.

Roof Rack

Brake Lines

Later
Jason

Try to order things from www.dc4wd.com. Write them, ask for prices.

Go with full leaves.
I'd go with tom woods, he'll supply you with SYE kit & drive shaft.

Everything you need for lift is included in the lift kit. You might want adjustable track bar, but this is not mandatory
150 - CB Radio
Looks like you want something expensive, like midland 29-790. Do you really need it for stage 1 ?
Can't judge.
500 - Tires - 31*10.5*15
Same as mine
140 - Misc
-----

You forgot longer shocks. Also mandatory - make sure you have the full size spare OF THE SAME SIZE AS YOUR NEW TIRES.

75 - Recovery Hooks
Move to stage 1 and probably substitute by draw-tite front receiver hitch.
250 - Roof Rack -
75 - High Lift Jack
85 - Misc
-----

500 - Front Bumper
500 - Rear Bumper
850 - Wench
150 - Misc
-----

ronlarimer said:
I am new to NAXJA and other Jeep forums, but I have been an active member in Miata and SV650 forums for about 5 years. My Miata had a fully adjustable suspension, roll bar, 6pt harnesses and some subtle exterior mods and my SV is fairly highly modified with suspension, dual headlights, clip-ons, rear sets, brake lines, new gearing, et cetera; so I am familiar with some of the pitfalls of modifying vehicles.

With the addition of a new son the Miata has been sold and I bought a Acura TL, the wife has decided she wants it which frees me up for a new toy and I have started searching for an XJ that will be a daily driver, but since I work from home and have the TL as a family vehicle will see relatively low mileage. I am completely green to the "sport"/hobby and want do the build progressively until I find the limit of my commitment to the sport. With the possibility of it becoming a dedicated trail rig at some point in the future. (3 years)

After lurking for a couple of days this is what I am thinking, with my budget, please pick it apart and point out anything I have missed.

150 - CB Radio
500 - Tires - 31*10.5*15
140 - Misc
-----

75 - Recovery Hooks
250 - Roof Rack -
75 - High Lift Jack
85 - Misc
-----

500 - Front Bumper
500 - Rear Bumper
850 - Wench
150 - Misc
-----

Other parts would get upgraded if they break and quikloc's would be added if needed.

I would like to see what you all think of this as a dual purpose street/trail rig? What can be done cheaper with out sacrifice?

Forget all that stuff.
Get some tow points front and rear, a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, and then get some seat time.

get a 3 inch lift kit with full leaf packs from rustys and 31s. look in wheeling mags, there are always good deals with rims on 31x10.5 ltbs for like 600. rustys is cheeper and is known not to be as good as RE but you wont have this lift kit for long. then get toe hooks. making your own bumpers is easy. and get the skids and high lift jack first. ull be set for a season fine with that setup, and it wont break you either

just a tip from a guy whos only been at this for just over a year....I wish I had gone with rock rails and skids; before my CB, rubicon wheels and roof rack....although listen to the more experienced guys, ive got the 3.5"RE, 31s and trimmed flares and am now saving for 33s and a bigger lift. ya definitely get inchitis hangin around these guys. haha

Welcome to the NAXJA site. You have done your homework. The parts selection makes good sense for what you want to do. While I am not a hack n tap fan you show good sense getting the SYE with the lift. Eliminates a lot of future headaches. I use my XJ much as I think you plan on using yours, family outings, secondary DD with a desire to make it more capable as time goes on so it can take on more challenging terrain.

I am going to fall in with the "flip 1 & 2 crowd". There are certain items that will enhance you fun, increase saftey, increase reliability and you will keep for the life of the vehicle. I would do them first:

Saftey (fire ext, radio, good first aid kit)
Recovery (Front hooks, rear hitch & slider mounted shackle, tow straps, high lift)
Armor (Xfer case, gas tank, rockers, eng, trans)

I would put onboard air fairly high so you can play in sand, get more traction and fix flats, lost beads etc...but thats more of an opinion.

By flipping 1 & 2 you can have a ton of fun, learn a lot and find out what you like and dislike without damaging the rig. You will be shocked at what you can do with a stock XJ. The armor and recovery will give you the confidence to try things and know that its unlikely you will damage anything if you dont get it right. With the armor you can take on obstacles that would easily damage an unarmored 3 inch lift XJ.

Make your number one objective getting out and having fun.

John

Get tow points & armor. Then come to Winterfest & try them out. JIM.

I don't know if the RE kit you're looking at comes with swaybar discos or not but if not get some JKS discos to help with articulation when wheeling.

Back