• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decisions decisions...3" or 4.5" packs?

Roodki

NAXJA Forum User
Well...I want to get some full packs to replace my already sagging Rusty's 3" AAL, and I noticed I could get the Rusty's 4.5" packs for only like $20 more than the 3" packs. So why not?

I'd have to probably puck the front for now until a good deal on coils comes my way, and move a SYE up to the top of my list, along with some control arms and a track bar, but other than that I think it should be good.

I definately couldn't get new tires though. I've only put like 4000 miles on my 31" BFG's, and I definately can't afford to get new ones.

So...would it look silly? Would I be better off getting the 3" packs instead?

I really don't know...

Last edited:
Id go 3" packs for the simple reason that if you combine them with shackles to make them 4.5, youll get more flex as the springs will be flatter. Flatter leafsprings is what we all desire...the more curvature(the 4.5's will have more), the less droop, and less upward flex youll have.

Jeffro600 said:
Id go 3" packs for the simple reason that if you combine them with shackles to make them 4.5, youll get more flex as the springs will be flatter. Flatter leafsprings is what we all desire...the more curvature(the 4.5's will have more), the less droop, and less upward flex youll have.
The Rusty's 3 inch spring packs include shims already center-pined in. If you add the .75 inch shackles, the pinion angle is parallel (visually) with the driveshaft, on my setup at least. Just be aware.

I removed the shim. I intend on adding 1.5 blocks to get the extra lift while keeping a flatter arch as metioned above. I also know I'm not going over 4.5 inches of lift however (or, so I think I know, none of my trees have produced any money the last few years).

Last edited:
Who said Rusty's packs are pre-shimmed? I doubt that since everyone will always need different shims. I will tell you this though: my Rusty's packs gave me almost 5" over all (3" pack) until they setteled @ around 4"+. Screw blocks, go with a shackle. Blocks gave me so much axle wrap it's not funny. I started with a BB kit and have since added a 3" ish kit to it netting over 5". I have been running a SYE and short arms (though both upper and lower are adjustable) and I'm getting ready to go to a long arm setup as soon as I get enough time to have it installed....Then the arms are up for sale!

Back