• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fiberglass leaf springs...anyone use them??

arizonahiker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all I came across these leaf springs while searching for some new springs to get some lift in my jeep. The website is flexaform.com. I know they would be great for not rusting, and seem to not get stressed out as quick as steel but would they have the same flex without all the separate individual leafs? Also they say they are only about 200 a piece, way cheaper than the old man emus I was wanting to get. They also weigh a lot less, about 8 pounds compared to 45 for the steel springs. Would this be good or bad? I wonder how much it might affect traction? Thanks for any ideas or comments as I am sure someone has tried these before.
springaa.jpg

I haven't seen any specific off-road appllications of these springs.

Fiberglass springs traditionally have been used in racing applications on Vettes, Camaros and the like where a stiffer spring is desired for cornering and anti-wrap benefits - basically, for all the opposite reasons of off roading. I can't imagine that a 'glass spring is going to tollerate the extreme flexing and wrap loads that rock crawling and off road situations require. Have you ever looked at a rear leaf pack when flexed up and under a load? It's shaped like an "S". I'd imagine once a 'glass spring is over flexed, it's rendered useless.

But to better answer your own question, call the manufacturer of these kinds of springs, then see if they even offer an application for off road vehicles. I'm betting they don't.

I would have to agree that they would not like a "twisting" force that you would see in off-camber situations.
also, I have seen stock corvette fiberglass leafs (they use a monoleaf for some years) that has come un-laminated.. the techs felt it was from the tire shine stuff.. but anyways.. it was pretty nasty.. I would stick with steel.

^^ I wouldnt worry about rusting springs in phoenix. I live in the heart of the rust belt, and I have never heard of springs rusting through...Dont worry about it. Go w/ Steel.

Thanks for all the replies...they pretty much answered all my questions. And you are right, I hardly have to worry about springs rusting in phoenix but am planning on moving up north again soon, don't ask me why. They seemed like a "too good to be true" thing. I am new to the offroading world, my third jeep but the first one I am planning on lifting, so my experience with the add-ons is very limited. Again, I appreciate all the input.

I have a chevy astro cargo van. Astro vans came stock (untill 1995 i think) with "composite" leafs in the rear. Granted they now have 220,000 miles on them and i do have allot of steel shelving and roof rack with ladders etc in the van but they are starting to fray, quite badly. I am going to replace them with steel packs from a latter model astro. I would not think they would hold up well off road. I got the van with 203,000 miles on it, it was a fleet van for an electrical company and did not have nearly as much crap as i carry in it. So in less than 20,000 miles of street use with a mild load they are really taking a bad beating.

Plus $200 each is not cheap.

Back