• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why misalignments(heim) on knukle for tie rod

forcefed

NAXJA Forum User
i just cant seem to justify them, although most pics that i have seen have them at the tie rod, it seems that they would just add to "dead spot" in steering

Not sure why you would want Hi-misalignment heims on tie rod. I use them on my drag link with hi-misalignment washers, but not on my tie rod.

What is your concern over a dead spot?

Michael

i am doing a crossover steering set up, so i have read alot of threads and saw alot of pics and most seem to have misalignment heims on the knukle. it didnt, make sence to me either, but no one has mentioned either way.

i have seen almost zero high misalignment heims on the tie rod with true cross over steerign. some thoughts are that you use all the same so if you have a prob you have a spare no matter what it is draglink or tierod. are you sure your not just confusing heims with high misalign heims.

i guess spares make sence, though i have not read any post talking about broken heims (not that it does not happen) i plan on using 5/8 shank and 5/8 i.d hole
which dont seem that commen to use from what i've read.
but considering the size of the bolts that are stock which i do belive are hardened, 5/8 cromoly seems to be a leap in strength

You would need a misalignment spacer in this application:
img84.gif

In order to avoid the drag link heim housing from contacting the tierod heim housing.

i'm sure i'll get my fair share of harrasement for this, but i can't figure this one out. lately i've seen alot of steering/suspension parts with misalignment this and misalignment that advertised.

i can't figure out what this "misalignment" is or what it does. can anybody clear that up for me please? (might come in handy since i have to repair/replace my entire front suspension and steering)

thanks,
alex

misalignment is the angle that the joint can accomidate from static in all directions...

"high misalignment spacers" use a sleve that goes inside the joint and makes that angle larger by use of a smaller bolt -

like this:
heimspacer.jpg

attachment.php

pictures from here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366468

Back