• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch replacement

matt1994xj

NAXJA Forum User
i am wondering if any of you guys know of a good write up on doing a clutch replacement. i have a 1994xj 2 door with a 4.0L. im confident i can do it but its always good to research as much as possible before.

Houghton? Hope you have access to a heated garage.

Not much to it, really. Break the exhaust apart so you can get the trans and tcase back. Be prepared to repair broken studs and/or bolts when you take off the cross member. You've got an external slave, so you won't even need to break the hydraulic lines. Most miserable bolts will be the 2 at the top, they're external Torx (search for size.)

Make sure you get a new pressure plate and throw out bearing.

First one I did on my 94 took a couple of hours. I had a new flywheel, though, so I didn't wait on machining (FSM says they're not machinable anyway.)

well your right about needing a garage in houghton. im going to do it at my dads house though. im in college right now. and yes i do have a new pressure plate and throw out bearing and even a pilot bearing. thats the only reason i have to do this is because my throw out is going bad. but while im there i might as well do it all. thanks though. is it true that you cant resurface the flywheel or is that just something the fsm says?

AFAIK the flywheel is machined with a concave surface. If it's resurfaced then the clutch doesn't fully mate with it. So you end up wearing the clutch unevenly and it may slip. At least that's my understanding of it.

I would strongly reccommend taking digital images/pictures of the removal process. Its a bit of a pain to do so, but when you are putting it back together and you cannot remember where something goes, its a great help.

Its not so bad on your task, but it a good practice to get into. Our shop does it on all of our projects, just in case. It has been VERY useful in the past.

noah

Back