• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading the wipers

mylt1

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 89xj with the cheep wipers, mist, low, and high. is there any way to upgrade to a intermintant wiper? and what would i need to make this happen?

Well, I don't know the complete details, but you are going to need the switch assy. on the column, and the timer box that is under the dash, right about where your LEFT knee points to the lower dash panel that comes off. You just have to feel under there on the edge of the lower panel and the box is in that area. The box is held on with velcro, not glue, and it has a pigtail going in to both sides of it. Maybe some one can help with the rest of the details?

Pretty much that's all you need, those two pieces. The delay module is simple, it just plugs into the ribbon cable of wires that pass down thru the steering column. But, you need to switch the intermediate section of the column (where the multifunction stalk a.k.a. turn signal lever attaches) Therein lies the fun part of the job. Lotsa little screws and such to deal with.
I attempted to swap one into my MJ this summer and said the h*ll with it. I've got the delay module still, somewhere in my parts pile. You can have it if you want it :laugh3:
Jeff

hell yeah if it will work. it was a serious pita last night driving home in the rain/snow mix. it was just heavy enough that you needed it wiped every few seconds but light enough that on low it would start squeeking.

well i may also need a new wiper trans because my wipers go entirely to far. so not sure what im gonna do yet.

Back