• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ 4cyl. 2WD?

4-cyl 2WD MJs exist -- I have an '88. Mine is a 4-speed -- I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a 4-cyl automatic MJ. There are 2WD 4.0L autos around. If you found a decent 4-cyl, it wouldn't be any problem to convert it from 4-speed or 5-speed to automatic using tranny and shifter parts from an XJ.

I used to have a MJ with a 4 popper and automatic, but it was an 86. Dunno if that makes a difference. I can't remember off the top o my head what model tranny it was. Gimmie a few days and I can find out if you need.

Mike

Backdraft,

I need.

Eagle,

I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I' focused on MJ's right now and didn't even think of XJ tranny's. So, are there any autos that will bolt up to my 87 MJ 4-cyl.? I can't remember, is the 2.5 bell housing the same as the 2.8?

The plan is to put a divorced NP205 behind the auto, if I can.

The early 4-bangers and the 2.8L V-6 used a Chrysler 904 tranny. Bell housing is the same small pattern as the 2.8L GM block. I don't know what auto trans was used in the last years of the XJ, if they even offered an auto with the 4-cyl at the end.

I once saw a nice 4-cyl. auto MJ 4x4 on ebay... the seller claimed that it had an AW4 and 4.56 gears from the factory. It was red.

Back