• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hwo To: Trim your fenders properly.

Badcop

NAXJA Forum User
How to properly trim your fenders:

Whether it is for TJ flares or cut outs.

I’m on my own mission of write-ups to try and get some of the repeat questions exiled, I know, I know try searching is the common response; well I hate to see this board go down the line of JU.

Start with the proper tools:
Air Nibbler
Sawzall (with a fresh blade)
3-5lb hammer
Vise Grips
Drill with a 5/16th drill bit
Pop rivets
Rivet gun
Pry-bar
10mm socket and wrench

1133722485_dscf0842.jpg

Start by removing the front bumperettes. After there off, you will need to start with a relief cut form the sawzall to let the nibbler start. I prefer the area under the turn signal and front of the stock flare. This is a good area to do this with the sawzall because the area is well supported and your chance of bending sheet metal is low.

1133722517_dscf0830_front.jpg

After the front is opened for the nibbler its only a matter of following the old flare around with the nibbler, when you get to the door side it will be all but free.

You will need to undo the dead top center nut to release the cross rod that supports the fender and flare. The inner skirt is attached with crappy little plastic plugs that just need some pulling on to release. Get the drill listed above and drill out the rivet that holds the cross rod on to the tub. The area nearest the door on the tub, is a pet peeve for me, I like to use the hammer and flatten it down, why go through all this trouble to have ass it in the end.

To the rear:

This is a little more time consuming then the front, but if done right will come out looking good.

Start by using the 10mm socket and break the fender nuts off. I say break because no matter how hard you try they will all break. Think of this as the body’s version of the rear shock bolts!!

1133722452_dscf0832.jpg

After the flare is off you need to get the sawzall and cut reliefs all along the pinch seam. If you don’t and just cut like the front you will weaken the unibody. These things have enough gimps; we don’t need to help along with them.

1133722636_dscf0833.jpg

After all the cuts have been made, start hammering them inward towards the tub.

1133722688_dscf0834.jpg

After you have all of them bent in, (this is a personal choice) its nice to use either some self tapping screws or rivets to hold all those little pieces up and out of the way. Since were using bushwhackers, we won’t need to since the flare itself will hold them up and out of the way.

1133722798_dscf0836.jpg

I won’t go through putting the flares on, just follow the instructions and you’ll be all right.

1133722858_dscf0837.jpg

1133722883_dscf0838.jpg

There are don’ts as you do this; Ill let this picture speak for itself.

1133722932_dscf0839.jpg

1133722959_dscf0840.jpg

If all goes well and is done right, you should have a nice pile of crap in your yard and about 10lbs lighter than when you started.

1133723021_dscf0841.jpg

Theres 3 choices for that.

1. Use some sheet metal screws and run it right into the fender itself.

2. Use pop rivets, same as above.

3. If using the Bushwhacker Cut Outs, they will retain the tabs when there installed.

exgreenjeep said:
the line you used looks like where the stock fender sat, i plan on cutting mine this week its a 2001 and am wondering if thats the line i should take.

I used the dirt line that was leftover when the flares came off. Its roughly 2-2.5 inches.

Nice write up...hey that XJ look familiar :wave:

1133722517_dscf0830_front.jpg

inside of the circle what is that part (sorry for the noob question)
did u relocated it and if yes why??

jw cause i've seen that on someone else's jeep

cas

Badcop said:
On the 91-96 theres is a spot right behind the battery it fits in, on the 84-90 there is a spot under the overflow bottle.
I don't know of that spot you are talking about. Behind the bulkhead is probably the best idea for all XJ's.

On my 99 XJ I had to totally move the vacuum ball to the other side of the engine bay. If you are running a cone filter the ball will mount right up to the old filter box holes. I just "carefully" ran vacuum line from Auto Zone from the old hard line to the ball. No problems. I have seen others just mount it in the the wheel well, but that makes it too much of a target for me.

will
99 XJ 3" 31's and goodies

Badcop said:
On the 91-96 theres is a spot right behind the battery it fits in, on the 84-90 there is a spot under the overflow bottle.
On the 2001, maybe post 97 but I cannot confirm, the vacuum ball (and horn) will mount on the gusset up behind the passenger side head light. I took the mounting straps off the horns to save space, but I didn’t even need to unplug the canister.

Look at my post in the OEM forum for "whats this stuff?"

I had to mount my cannister on the front tab of the coolant overfill bottle. If you don't have the other crap in the far corner you can mount it there very easily.

hey. i am posting in this thread just a little drunk, so bear with me.. i dont know shit bout trimming. and call me stupid or whatever, but i still don't know wht to do. i have a junkard lift, prob around 4.5 inches. I see guys running 33" on 4.5 or 5" so i think i will get 33"s when i buy tires. call me stupid or whatever, but i searched and i can't find a good writeup on trimming the fenders. i got all the tools at hand, i just need to good to a friends house, can someone just give a link to a writeup that would suit me? sorry if it's a hassle,but like i said, i DID search, but didn't seem to come up with a suitable writeup.

thanks
Dustin

Back