• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited slip or locker

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering who is running a limited slip. I am thinking of adding one to my XJ. In the future I plan on up grading axles and adding a locker, but for now I have a D35 in the rear and I have heard that once you ad a locker to it your chance of braking the axle go way up. So budget and purpose wise I am thinling limited slip. Any input???

Buy an 8.25 for $100 then gear it and add a locker.

I ran an LSD in my '98 with 8.25" and it worked pretty good. I used that setup with an ARB in the front for years. My only thought would be spending money, any money, on the D35 may not be money well spent. If you can find one cheap and set it up yourself go for it. If it is any substantial amount of money I'd say save the $$$ for a better rear axle.

HTH,
B-loose

My trouble is finding one, I live in hawaii and the junk yards are let just say ran by crooks. For example they charged me 5 bucks for the front side marker/blinker. I am moving back to california in may, but then I will be deployed for around 8 months. Maybe I can get my dad to pull me an axle. Anyone know some good places to check in So Cal???

Keep an eye on the NAXJA FS ads. There are always people upgrading from the 8.25 and many of them are in Cali. Once you are on the main land finding a used 8.25 should be no problem.

Id go with a lunchbox locker LONG before id use a limited slip...in my experience, limited slips dont work all that well and need attention every so often(rebuilds) to work properly. But the FIRST thing i would do is get rid of that D35 before you think about any kind of locker.

As for the junk yard...just pick one...there arent really any BAD junk yards in the So. Cal area from what ive seen...lots of treasures to be had in that area!

xjj33p3r said:
Add a locker in front. I would say that even the 8.25 isn't worth locking.

I agree with replacing the D35. But I question why you say the 8.25 is not worth locking? The biggest limiting factor for the 8.25 is the max gearing is 4.56. Almost every locker manufacturer makes a locker for the 8.25 and now you can get alloy shafts for it. I am running an 8.25 and they are very easy to find, especially here in SOCAL. There are many people running geared and locked 8.25's.

I know that everyone has there opinion, and that's all good. Of course, a D44 or custom built hi-9 would be great, but not everyone can afford to buy and/or put the money into those. The intial investment in a D44 or nice 9 inch is great, they do have more options and great reputations.

I am not saying anyone is wrong, just giving my input as I have researched axles, gears, and lockers a good bit and have received some really great advice from the NAXJA gang.

Good Luck!

Ok, I know I will get flakk on this. But, I am a nub. What is the difference in the limited slip and locker. Also, If doing a prerunner/DD what kind of gearing is needed?

Thanks,
Silent

for a pre-runner DD I would go with a truetrac.

Yeah 8.25 is a solid axle, only thing I am thinking of replacing it with is an 8.8 for 35s (peace of mind), but yeah pretty much the 8.25 is as strong as a d44.

rpraterxj said:
I agree with replacing the D35. But I question why you say the 8.25 is not worth locking? The biggest limiting factor for the 8.25 is the max gearing is 4.56. Almost every locker manufacturer makes a locker for the 8.25 and now you can get alloy shafts for it. I am running an 8.25 and they are very easy to find, especially here in SOCAL. There are many people running geared and locked 8.25's.

I know that everyone has there opinion, and that's all good. Of course, a D44 or custom built hi-9 would be great, but not everyone can afford to buy and/or put the money into those. The intial investment in a D44 or nice 9 inch is great, they do have more options and great reputations.

I am not saying anyone is wrong, just giving my input as I have researched axles, gears, and lockers a good bit and have received some really great advice from the NAXJA gang.

Good Luck!

I agree 100%. I have been running my 29 spline 8.25 since my Jeep was new in '98 problem free. I ran the Trac Lok in it for a long time and have been running an ARB in it for years now. Haven't broke anything yet (knock on wood). I don't baby the thing either. I was only running 33's though and just went to 35's last week. We'll see how it holds up now.

One of the only other problems with an 8.25 is that it is a c-clip style (so is an 8.8). If you break a shaft the rear cover is coming off the replace the shaft and you WILL have to replace the shaft right away, no limping off the trail with a broken shaft. With Non c-clips if you can get the broke piece out changing an axle is a quick deal. Plus you can limp it off the trail with a brke shaft.

For the $$$ that 8.25 go for they are great for all but the most hard core rigs.

B

FYI
captn Ron wheeled Wrecking ball in Johnson Valley with an 8.25 locked on 33"s.

Ok, another question how do you find out what number spline you have? I have a 95, 4.0 HO, 8.25 rear. I hear the 29 is better than 27. But, as to why I do not know. Also, trutrack is that made by detroit lockers? and trutrack is that limited slip or locker? also what type gearing is needed?

Silent

I'm not saying that the 8.25 is a shitty axle either, I'm just saying it's not really worth putting too much money into. I geared my 8.25 when I had it, and I could've added a locker at the same time, but I realized that investing any more money into it could lead to breakage, and further repairs, which would be more than actually replacing it with something else. That's why I sold it, saved up some money, and am now installing a bigger axle, for about as cheap as regearing and buying a locker. Plus, finding spares for a ford 9 is much easier than finding 8.25 spares... in my case anyway.

If you can find a D44 or a 9" cheap I could see running that over a 8.25. If you have a 29 spline 8.25 already or can find one way cheap it is worth sticking money into, imho. An 8.8 is just as strong as a 9" but has the disadvantage of being a C clip style so I wouldn't run that over a 8.25 unless the price was right.

As for the 27 or 29 spline I forget the year they went to 29, maybe '97, not positive though. A 29 spline is a bigger shaft, that's why it's better than a 27. A 27 spline 8.25 is pretty simular to a D35 but they seem to hold up much better. A D44 is a 30 spline and only slightly larger than a 29 spline 8.25 so were it not for it being non c clip it would be pretty simular. Seeing that it is Non C clip it would be worth a bit more than an 8.25 but not a lot, not to me anyway.

HTH,
B-loose

i run Powertrax no-slips front and rear and they are fine. yes i off-road a lot, BUT i know not to hold the skinny pedal down all the time. you have to know the limitations(of eveything). but given the choice, i would not put much money in a d-35.

rpraterxj said:

Good Luck!

i'd have to agree. the 8.25 is a fairly stronger axle then most people give it credit for.
Chrylser has put these axles in fullsize dodge 4x4's since the mid 70's and even behind big blocks.
the 8.8 does offer more building options tho.

Back