• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable track bar question

thecozmo65

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to get a new track bar, preferably one that will use a beefed up mount on my 90. I only have 2" of lift at the moment but am planning (someday) to go as high as 6". What I want to know is will something like the RE 1600 or 1660 work with only 2" or do I just have to settle for stock untill I go higher? I want to get something that I wont have to replace in a couple of years when I get around to lifting again and one that will provide a decent amount of flex.

Last edited:
Being no help at all. You could call the tech dept. and ask them. And I may be wrong here but the axle shift per inch of lift hieght is not very much. There must be a ratio at work here. I'd guess the difference between 2" and 6" is probably an 1" 1/2 or maybe 2" of axle shift. Does it look like there's that much adjustability in that part?

i believe the re1600 track bar will work w/ your lift and as far as goin bigger, i have about 5.5 inches on mine. i am using the re1600 track bar and the re1660 mount. i drilled out the hole on the mount to 3/4" and ran the bolt front to back with the heim rotated and have had no problems and i think it is stronger than having the bolt run vertical through the factory mount. oh and my axle is perfectly centered underneath the front.

david

buy an HD unit and save $$$ down the road...

get one that requires a new frame side mount and uses a hard joint at the frame side (hard joint being a JJ, Superflex joint, or a heim)

you will thank me later...

thecozmo65 said:
Thats what I was looking at but will it work for sure with as little as a 2" lift?

Sure it will. The length is adjustable, so just adjust it to the length of your stock track bar.

XJ_ranger said:
buy an HD unit and save $$$ down the road...

get one that requires a new frame side mount and uses a hard joint at the frame side (hard joint being a JJ, Superflex joint, or a heim)

you will thank me later...

What do you guys know about a stock track bar mount flexing? with the RE non HD bar? Now I can actually feel this in the floor of the truck while I'm steering it. I had my wife quickly jerk the wheel back and forth, just a small amount, and 1) could actually feel movement in the Heim joint with my fingers, and 2) could actually see the stock frame mount flexing as the steering was turned! Now, I fully expected the heim to be a compromise, BUT, I didn't expect to feel movement at the bolt/heim, OR SEE movement at the frame mount. I can't believe the slight increase in leverage, from the heim/bolt set up would cause this. But, I believe it now that I've seen/felt it. Is this normal? Or is my 90k mile '01 more of a POS than other XJ's?? :wave:
Thanks!
PS. I think I'm getting a HD mount, and maybe a JJ? I think it will fit in there?

ChuckstrPT said:
What do you guys know about a stock track bar mount flexing? with the RE non HD bar? Now I can actually feel this in the floor of the truck while I'm steering it. I had my wife quickly jerk the wheel back and forth, just a small amount, and 1) could actually feel movement in the Heim joint with my fingers, and 2) could actually see the stock frame mount flexing as the steering was turned! Now, I fully expected the heim to be a compromise, BUT, I didn't expect to feel movement at the bolt/heim, OR SEE movement at the frame mount. I can't believe the slight increase in leverage, from the heim/bolt set up would cause this. But, I believe it now that I've seen/felt it. Is this normal? Or is my 90k mile '01 more of a POS than other XJ's?? :wave:
Thanks!
PS. I think I'm getting a HD mount, and maybe a JJ? I think it will fit in there?

I believe that RE sells an upgrade unit for their less than HD bar and that will come with RE's equivalent to a johney joint

as for movement, at the joint - im not sure what you mean - did the joint move from one side to the other like the bolt wasnt big enough for it? did the bar move on the threads of the joint?

if the joint is moving a lot, something is wrong - the joint might be worn out or ...

Im not sure what to say about the frame flex...

XJ_ranger said:
I believe that RE sells an upgrade unit for their less than HD bar and that will come with RE's equivalent to a johney joint

as for movement, at the joint - im not sure what you mean - did the joint move from one side to the other like the bolt wasnt big enough for it? did the bar move on the threads of the joint?

if the joint is moving a lot, something is wrong - the joint might be worn out or ...

Im not sure what to say about the frame flex...
Thanks for the quick response! I am a little annoyed at this to say the least. Well, I can actually feel some "creeking/groaning" at my feet while driving. I put my fingers right around the place where the bold goes through the hiem, and can feel it moving. Now, this is SLIGHT movement, BUT, I'm thinking slight movement in something that is supposed to resist side to side thrust motion is only going to get worse as I continue to thrust it from side to side on a daily basis. And that is just on the street. Doesn't take into effect when I'm on the trail, trying to turn into some big a$$ rock, and applying a whole bunch more stress to it. I'm thinking if I can feel the movement at the heim now, it will only get worse. I'm not into uncontroled axles, or slop in my axle control. And I really like to avoid catastrophic trail failures, ie ripping that stock frame mount off. I'm more concerned about the possible metal fatigue at the frame mount at this point than the slight movement at the heim. I'm still baffled by that. You can actually see the frame mount flex, and hear it. This is with BIG 30 inchers, sitting in the garage. hmmm :dunno:

ECKSJAY said:
How is that an option? That IS an RE trackbar and mount in function and construction, it just costs $5 less than the one on RE's site. WOW.
All the HD mounts all look about the same at this point. How much different could they be? I like the fact that T&T seems to be made with less welds? more strength from a single peice formed? Dunno, enlighten me please, cause I will be buying one in the near future :sunshine:

ChuckstrPT said:
All the HD mounts all look about the same at this point. How much different could they be? I like the fact that T&T seems to be made with less welds? more strength from a single peice formed? Dunno, enlighten me please, cause I will be buying one in the near future :sunshine:

Just pointing out that they're so similar that $5 seems awful petty to consider it an 'option.'

ECKSJAY said:
Just pointing out that they're so similar that $5 seems awful petty to consider it an 'option.'
Agreed. I see Rusty's offers a track bar mount brace that mounts to the opposite side frame rail. That is interesting. Anyone else producing that?
Thanks for the input

ChuckstrPT said:
Agreed. I see Rusty's offers a track bar mount brace that mounts to the opposite side frame rail. That is interesting. Anyone else producing that?
Thanks for the input
RE has one for theirs,and Rusty's trackbar wont even come close to a RE,JKS,Kevin's,etc.
tnRE1670.jpg

So no one has any comment, or experience with the stock mount flexing? :dunno:

ChuckstrPT said:
So no one has any comment, or experience with the stock mount flexing? :dunno:

ive never looked at it honestly -

i do plan on buying a bigger beefier mount and bracing it a few ways - making an integrated steerinb box brace that welds to the mount and re-enforces the whole front chunk of the frame...

Back