• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headed to Pismo Beach Oceano Dunes

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
Headed to Pismo Beach Oceano Dunes for the first time. Plan on renting some ATVs and/or dune buggies... maybe driving the XJ on the beach or something, I dunno. Anything I should know about before going? Best place to rent the ATVs, etc.

Last edited:
HAVE LOTS OF FUN!!!!!!! The ATV rentals are expensive, but they are a blast in the sand. Low PSI in the jeep and lots of speed!!!!!!

Bring some xtra clothes cause its raining here, dont rent from BJ`s, Use Grover beach motorsports/Steves atv,much nicer stuff, and dont eat at Ming China resturant unless U like fried cockroach.

Thanks for the advice.. I "was" considering renting ATVs from BJ's. What's wrong with a little fried cockroach? I believe that's a delicacy in some countries. Only kidding really! Planning to go to McLintocks for steaks though.

Well we didn't end up renting quads but we did rent a dune buggie for a couple hours from Sun Buggy Rentals and I have to say, it is a kick in the pants!! I had WAY TOO MUCH FUN! I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't done it. It was great taking the Cherokee out on the beach too. I think next time I might just camp out. We crossed the river or whatever you want to call it without any problems. I never got stuck in the sand. Sooo, it was a pretty good trip. Watching others get stuck in the sand or water is also something fun to do down there I found out. I can't believe the number of people that take the minivan down there or a regular car like a Camry and don't realize the potential dangers of getting stuck.

Dont get to used to crossing the creek and having it shallow always. winter can be different. One of my trucks on 38`s and a 6" lift went down to to the door mirrors. I thought I was doomed. If the buzzards (tow guys) are gathered at the banks be aware of drop offs etc.

You know, I got a tide chart but I don't quite get how to read it. Are they listing the size of the waves or what? If so, how big do they have to be to start worrying about the creek level?

jeepinatpismo.jpg

from the first time i went...

i didnt own that XJ at the time...

now it sits in my driveway not running...

The tides vary 6+ hours daily,say high at 1:00am then low at about 7:30 am then high again at 2:00 pm etc.This time of year there are negative tides that allow for good beach running or poke pole fishing in the shell beach rock areas. Its not so much the tides but if the creek starts running again. As you saw the creek exits the levee and goes far south now. It used to go straight out until the storms in 95 or so?? Best bet usually is to watch others first, cross between sets of waves when the water is out so to say and dont stop or let some dumb ass stop in front of you either. If this happens it can get ugly fast as the water rushing under your rig will wash the sand out from under your tires quickly and you be sitting on your undercarrage and stuck.. Some dude did this to me when I was in D50 2wd truck, it buried me and within 30 seconds the waves were over the hood. Luckly a friend pulled me out before the truck got wasted.

Back