• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good price for a Comanche?

jstggs

NAXJA Forum User
I checked out this Comanche today that I saw for sale, it's got a fairly new(if not brand new) snow-plow and it's only got 96k original miles on it. I crawled arround underneath and much to my suprise NO RUST! This has got to be the cleanest one I've ever seen.

Only downside to it is that it's got an automatic tranny with the NP229 x-fer case because it's got a switch for 4wd and a lever for low-range. This would mean that it's not powered by a 4.0, right?

They only want $2000 for it and I can probably talk them down to $1800 atleast so does this sound like a good deal?

So it has to be an '86, which means it could be a 2.5L 4-cyl with throttle body injection, but if it has the 229 transfer case it's more likely a 2.8L V6 boat anchor.

The plow rig is worth about $800. With the V6 the truck is worth ... not much (and remember, I love Comanches).

I'd offer $1500 and if he won't take it, walk away and never look back.

Eagle said:
So it has to be an '86, which means it could be a 2.5L 4-cyl with throttle body injection, but if it has the 229 transfer case it's more likely a 2.8L V6 boat anchor.

The plow rig is worth about $800. With the V6 the truck is worth ... not much (and remember, I love Comanches).

I'd offer $1500 and if he won't take it, walk away and never look back.
Thanks for the advice, how hard would it be to swap in a 4.0? Just wondering.............................................

Just as hard as it is to swap a 4.0L in an XJ of the same (84-86) vintage. There are frequent discussions about this in boht OEM and Modified Tech.

Jim

how set are you on it?

value is only determined by the ammount that the buyer pays in the end right?

It is a longbed then, and if it is clean underneath it is a rarity. Sounds like it would be worth whatever you are willing to shell out for it with that low of mileage. The axle gearing is probably nice for a 4.0 liter swap and taller tires. You should check what rear end it has, possibility of a rare Model 20.

Back