• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfercase wont shift into 4 low

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have a 89 XJ with the 231 t-case, and ever snice I bought it, I havent been able to shift it into 4 low. It works in 2 wheel, neutral, and 4 high. I checked it for fluid, and that is fine. When I try to shift it into 4 low, the shifter just wont budge, it doesn't grind or anything.

Any ideas for me ?

Thanks,
Dan

dan89XJ said:
Hello, I have a 89 XJ with the 231 t-case, and ever snice I bought it, I havent been able to shift it into 4 low. It works in 2 wheel, neutral, and 4 high. I checked it for fluid, and that is fine. When I try to shift it into 4 low, the shifter just wont budge, it doesn't grind or anything.

Any ideas for me ?

Thanks,
Dan
What wont budge? You do know you have to push it hard to the right don't you?

langer1 said:
What wont budge? You do know you have to push it hard to the right don't you?

The shifter wont budge - wont move down to 4 low. It does go to the right(easily) then down a little bit then it wont go any further.

XJAnthony said:
make sure the linkage is adjusted right i had the same prob. when i switched t-cases

How do I check the linkage ? Is there a way to d/c the linkage and check to see if the transfercase will shift to verify it is working ?

dan89XJ said:
The shifter wont budge - wont move down to 4 low. It does go to the right(easily) then down a little bit then it wont go any further.

How do I check the linkage ? Is there a way to d/c the linkage and check to see if the transfercase will shift to verify it is working ?
The linkage is just one rod and should be fine. If it went back all the way but was not in gear then I would check the linkage.
There is a switch on the back for your t-case for the 4wd light, if that switch is screwed in too far it will keep you from shifting into 4wd low.

Back