• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leakage....

rear main seal is going or gone

Not a simple fix but lots of people here have done it.

Just do a search, lots of hits and pics too.

parts should cost no more than 20 bucks.

Labor... that's another story

I could have SWORE I had a rear seal leaking, which gives symptoms that you describe, but I also had a leaking oil filter housing. I picked up a rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and a set of o rings for the housing. I decided to tackle the oil filter housing first just to see how that did. Leak fixed, no more drips in the driveway. The oil ran down the side of the block by the starter, and collected at the junction of the tranny / engine. My big o ring on the housing was the problem...the two smaller ones looked brand new and were still flexible. Put the rear main seal and pan gasket in the shed for later use. Is your starter covered in oil?

Ill eventually need the rear seal one day, but I wonder how many rear seals have been replaced because of a leaking oil filter housing o rings.

Dave

Back