• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to the XJ

grannyc52

NAXJA Forum User
For a while I had a zj, thought about lifting it, and decided it was way to expensive, seeing how the kit i wanted from kevins offroad was about $3,000. One of my friends has a 89 xj he wants to sell me for $800. Hes got a 2'' lift on it, just coil spacers and blocks. I bought 4.5'' springs for my zj, which are actually made for an xj so if i do buy it id use those with a 2'' spacer. And I tihnk it was Rustys where i saw a 5'' pack, with new shackles. But I need to know whats needed with that size lift. Im guessing if i go that big i should go Long Arms, new track bar, shocks, brake lines, SYE, and anyone whos got any info on a 6.5'' lift would be appreciated.. And im thinkign 33's for the street and 35's for the trails, also my buddys got a bunch of dana 44's and a few 60's i could probably buy off him. and what do the xj's come with? 30 in the front and 35 in the rear? Ive got alot of questions i need this for a daily driver as well so im playin it safe.. Pete

a 6.5" lift is gonna put you close to that $3000 price tag you were trying to avoid to do it right. An sye is a must at that height. While short arms will work, long arms are really the way to go for 6.5", and you'll need to regear at those tire sizes. You'll need a new rear driveshaft, a new e brake cable, brakelines, and will want to do something to disconnect the front sway bar. Get a new adj trac bar for sure, and yes you will need shocks. Possibly a drop pitman arm as well. xj's have a dana 30 front and either a dana 35, or chrysler 8.25 rear. Of the 2, a Chrysler is more desirable, but with 35's and a locker you might wanna think about an 8.8 or dana 44 swap.

thanks alot man I've never owned a xj but to me it seems like they are a little more rugged than the zj. Also I'll have money left over from selling the zj, I guess it comes with skyjacker subframes or somethin, thats what he was sayin. But anyways as i build it up ill post some pics. It also comes with a spare stock track bar, spare 4.0...

If you're going to 6.5'' don't forget the steering box brace and drop pitman arm. Take it from me longarms or drop bracket's are a must.

No prob man, good luck with everything and be sure to post some pics as it progresses. If you ever run into problems (and you will) use the search feature before you post a new thread cause they'll rip ya a new one on here if you ask a question that has already been asked a hundred times. PM me if you ever have any questions and need some help!

Back