• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do I need a one way valve on my OBA

davidt

NAXJA Forum User
I am setting up my OBA and need to know whether I need a one way valve in the system or not. If I do, where can I source one. Thanks.

Not necessary, but I like a check valve (your one-way valve) with an unloader port for the pressure switch. What this does is depressurizes the line to the check valve every time the pressure switch shuts off. A lever in the pressure switch opens a Schrader (tire) valve to depressurize. The reason for this is so that the valves in the compressor aren't under direct pressure on startup. It allows the line before the check valve to equalize pressure gradually. Saves your compressor valve seals and makes thing last longer.

http://www.onboardair.com for parts source.

the seals in my stock ac compressor never seemed to hold the pressure too well but would work fine while running installing a one way valve solved all problems and i can hold air with zero pressure loss for days

Another quick question for everyone, there is a large amount of oil spewing out of the compressor, do I need an oil return on my system? I have an inline filter on the system, do I need one as well? Thanks again. David

davidt said:
Another quick question for everyone, there is a large amount of oil spewing out of the compressor, do I need an oil return on my system? I have an inline filter on the system, do I need one as well? Thanks again. David

What compressor are you running?

If it is a York there are a couple of ways to deal with it. One is to vent the crank case on the compressor with a simple blow off vent (looks like an aeration stone). The other way is an oil return system that I recently saw on sale cheap at surpluscenter.com and Harbor Freight.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2005110819171463&catname=air&keyword=AFF1

If you are using the stock Sanden you need to recover/remove the oil from the downstream airflow and provide an oiler in the intake airflow. The check valve is a good idea.

Rev

Rev Den said:
If you are using the stock Sanden you need to recover/remove the oil from the downstream airflow and provide an oiler in the intake airflow. The check valve is a good idea.

Rev
It is the stock sanden compressor, what is the best way to "recover or remove" the oil, I have a filter similar to the surplus center P/N F08-02-SK00, will this work?

The filter should be a "Oil seperator/filter" the oil will gather in the bottom of the bowl and can be drained as it gets full. You can use a inline air tool oiler to introduce oil into the compressor.

Rev

Back