• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fixing sagged rustys spring

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
ive got 4.5" rustys leaf packs with 1.75" shackles and my pass side spring is sitting about 2" lower than the drivers side one. Ive talked with rusty about this and hes being a d*ckhead about it saying they are the old 5 leaf springs and theyre no longer under warranty. anyway...what can i do to put 2" back in that spring without replacing it? i thought about adding a leaf to it. ive got a set of stock cj7 spring packs in my garage i could mess with and try adding a leaf from those or somethin. any ideas?

CJ springs probably have a significant amount of arch to them since they are spring under, but aren't they narrower than XJ springs? Not a good candidate for custom leaf packs. However, you could easily use some other springs of the correct width to make a fresh pack based on the Rusty's main leaf.

olivedrabcj7 said:
ive got 4.5" rustys leaf packs with 1.75" shackles and my pass side spring is sitting about 2" lower than the drivers side one. Ive talked with rusty about this and hes being a d*ckhead about it saying they are the old 5 leaf springs and theyre no longer under warranty. anyway...what can i do to put 2" back in that spring without replacing it? i thought about adding a leaf to it. ive got a set of stock cj7 spring packs in my garage i could mess with and try adding a leaf from those or somethin. any ideas?

I had this same problem 2 weeks ago (but mine are the 6 leafs) well after going round and round about it they sent me 2 leafs to replace the lower leaf in each pack (one per pack) the replacement leaf is thick and way longer. I think its a 2" short aal. they fixed the problem but now it rides like ass.

well ive checked and theres nobody around here that can do spring re arching. would a 3" add a leaf added to these leafs give me back 2"? im thinking it wouldnt give a full 3" because the lift springs have more arch than a stock pack to start with. im trying to avoid doing a ghetto 2" block one side as a temporary fix.

I asked rusty this very question and he answered a 3" would add 3", 2"-2", Which is what I think they sent me. it sits good now, but rides real rough.

ok well good. he said hes doing some "research" on it and he would get back with me about how he is gonna take care of it. i havent heard back from him yet. i was hoping he would warranty his freakin product and just send me a new spring. hell, id send this one back to him if he wants it. but well see.

OK, OlivedrabCJ7, before you start bashing Rustys, I talked to Tony and they have a lifetime warranty on their springs to the original purchaser. They have the records to verify the original purchaser. They do require the springs back so that they can look at them before they replace them. The only out on their warranty is if you were running lift blocks. If you need the springs in hand before you pull your old springs, they will bill your credit card for the new springs, then credit your card when you return the old springs. They have a full testing setup to verify the springs are bad.

Their phone number is (256) 442-0607 and ask for Tony

Yea Tony was the guy the hooked me up. Since they only sent me a replacement leaf they didn't require me to send anything back. thier customer service is the best period.

so what s the story here??

he says ..

olivedrabcj7 said:
. Ive talked with rusty about this and hes being a d*ckhead about it saying they are the old 5 leaf springs and theyre no longer under warranty.

and OLD_MAN says

old_man said:
OK, OlivedrabCJ7, before you start bashing Rustys, I talked to Tony and they have a lifetime warranty on their springs to the original purchaser. They have the records to verify the original purchaser. They do require the springs back so that they can look at them before they replace them. ]

So Olive drab is BSing about talking to Rusty??

shame on you bro :lecture:

I had the same problem with his 6 inch non-millitary packs. He sent me some add-a-leaves. Since I didn't want my DD to ride like ass, I mixed in 2 leaves from a YJ (same width) and threw the AAL's to the side. They worked great. Straightened out the "s" shaped Rusty's leaf pack, flexed well, and rode nice on the DD.

Lets face it. If you want a good ride and lots of flex out of leaves, your going to have to build and replace packs often. Hoe often depends on how much flexin' or towin' your doing.

well ive checked and theres nobody around here that can do spring re arching.

There are two places in Little Rock that do it. Pick up the phone book :laugh3:

You wanna come give us a hand at the park saturday or sunday? We are gonna start construction of the pavillion. Your labor may be good for some free wheelin.

yeah im just making all this sh*t up so i can get on here and get a little sympathy. dont be stupid. yes ive talked to rusty. yes he said the old leaf packs arent under warranty anymore. at the same time he told me he would see what he could come up with to fix me up though. still havent heard back from him. the bad leaf spring looks like an S under there. if i dont hear back from him ill probably take apart my rear cj spring pack and take a leaf out of there and toss it in this rustys pack. sounds like i may have to play with spring combos for a while before i get it right.

i already got a couple phone calls asking about helping with the pavilion. i cant be there. im stuck at school writing papers this weekend. id like to. i could use some free wheelin :). i cant wait to see how it turns out.

My 4.5 rusty's springs did the same arching thing that all Rusty's springs do. I called and talked to them probably 10 times and each time he verified that he was going to send me replacements. Never got them, each time he would blame it on shipping or forgeting. I ended up putting the bottom leaf of a rear landcruiser FJ40 4 inch lift spring, fixed my problem and still rides great. Oh buy the way, I have had to file a claim through my bank against rustys off road. They billed me for parts I didn't order and they would not give me my money back, I fought with them for 2 months and once again everytime I talked to them the said they would do it right away. I think that the Junk yard has better quality parts and a million times the customer service.

Went wheeling with the replacement leafs today, actually felt a little more stable than before. They flexed just fine.

gotta be the original purchaser! ;) i would just add in some stock xj springs to gain some strength and lift and not get the rough ride you would from an aal. and not add in a 2" block!

Well rusty can go to hell. Him and his shithole products. Ive been on his ass for a couple weeks now about this and nothing has happened. He keeps saying hes working on it......working on it my ass! Theres nothing to work on. You sell a shitty product. Work on putting a new spring in a box and shipping it out to me and maybe i wont bash you on public forums. Id buy rough country now over anything rustys sells. at least ive had good luck with their products and customer service. hasta i guess i can play mix and match with some stock xj springs ive got laying around. Anybody have a guess as to which spring they would add and where in the pack to put it?:exclamati

has there been any more word on rustys springs? I thought about ordering the 6" ones and running a 1.5" shackle. I want about 7" of lift so there is not much room for sagging.

ahh the new rustys springs are 6 leaf and most have had good luck with them. i have the old shitty 5 leaf versions that have all the problems.

BRIANHO13 said:
I asked rusty this very question and he answered a 3" would add 3", 2"-2", Which is what I think they sent me. it sits good now, but rides real rough.

he knows thats bull i told him, i did the same crappin thing to my 3.5" packs about 5 months ago, well maybe more like 8 months now, but a Long AAL added to an ARCHED leaf pack does NOT add its original lift height to a lift pack,
i needed both to rears to sit about 1" higher and a 3" lift Long AAL gave my 3.5" packs what they needed.

but even with an extra leaf those packs are un-level now, extra junk lying beside the garage,
FIX__
i got me some MJ 57" leaves and redrilled the center pin holes about 1" back from stock XJ location,
- added the 3" long AALs to them
- running a double shackle (MJ and exteded/lift shackle) for added lift/flex (super Droop)
-sittin on a custom billet steel 1"- 4~degreed block that is about 6" long (intentionally LONG in the front to help against axle wrap) and the bottom over load spring is flipped.
total lift is between 6&7" depending on the load, tools, fuel, & passengers
+with this setup i can stuff a 35" bfg muds, no problem (barely any cutting, *OEM flares trimmed/clearenced in stock location)

so i guess the answer to the original question is:
throw the sagged rusty's springs in the scrap pile :)

Last edited:
Back