• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12v from overhead console

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So I mounted my CB in the overhead console. It came out pretty good. Now I need a 12v source up there. Any ideas? I'm planning on running the antenna cable up in the headliner to the back, and fishing it out one of the rubber accordian things into the hatch. Will a coax cable fit through there? I'd like to keep it as waterproof as possible!
Thanks!

not sure if they changed the interior too much in 01 but on mine a 96 i ran the power supply down the a-pillar under the plastic cover panel then to a fuse panel

I used the 12v from the remote doorlock sensor, seeing as mine was mia when I bought the jeep. Only thing is have to remember to turn off the cb, I probably should have made it switched but kept getting alot of noise when I did that.

bj-666 said:
not sure if they changed the interior too much in 01 but on mine a 96 i ran the power supply down the a-pillar under the plastic cover panel then to a fuse panel
This is what I did on both of mine. JIM.

bj-666 said:
I could do this. I was hoping to patch into something up there, to minize running wires. Just not sure which wires are hot. I'd rather not mess with the computer up there, and I'd like to keep the lights functional. :sunshine:

There's a fused 12V(straight from battery & with fuse) going up to the console and switched 12V as well. The 12V hot You could tap off either one depending on what the current draw from the CB is. The wires aren't that large a gauge and the computer shouldn't draw very much at all.
If you have the lit vanity mirrors on your visor, those get power from the 12V fused line.

Do you have a pic of your installation?

MAP

if your going to be taping into other wires to get power you might want to buy a (damit can't think of the word for it, but i basicly cleans the power coming into a radio) ever been in a car that you can hear a change in the sound of the radio as you change rpm same idea you want to try to make the connection to the bat as direct as possible some even use coax cable.

MAP said:
There's a fused 12V(straight from battery & with fuse) going up to the console and switched 12V as well. The 12V hot You could tap off either one depending on what the current draw from the CB is. The wires aren't that large a gauge and the computer shouldn't draw very much at all.
If you have the lit vanity mirrors on your visor, those get power from the 12V fused line.

MAP
What up there is switched? The computer, huh? Yeh, the wires are pretty small. I was wondering if that would be a problem. Hate to burn down my truck because of the CB! I've got pics, but not uploaded yet. Guess I should post some, huh? :sunshine:
Thanks for the info!

The display turns on when you turn your ignition switch to the on position.
That's what is switched. The computer gets constant 12V for it's memory I believe.

MAP

If you want your CB to have the power it needs and you don't want to forget to turn if off, run new wires to the fuse block. Running down the driverside piller's not hard.

MAP said:

MAP
Lets try this.....
misc05%20111.jpg

and if that doesn't work CB from above
misc05%20116.jpg

Finished product, with temp wiring
misc05%20117.jpg

From the side

langer1 said:
Ok, so first of all, thanks for the help with the pics. Second of all, what am I doing wrong in posting pics? This seems to be a reoccurring problem.
Third....is it backwards...that depends. It is facing forward. It has the speaker shooting more at my ear than in front of me, and the mic cable is coming out forward, and I think I'm going to hang it from a hook from the passenger side visor. So that works well. And I figure, once set on the channel for the trail of the day, I rarely will flip around channels? All I need to do is adjust the squelch and volume. and it points the antenna cable toward the rear, which is where it is heading. So pointing forward was really just convenience. I am thinking about flipping it around and seeing how it looks/works. Actually, that is the exact location I wanted to mound the control box for my Amatuer Radio Dual Bander, with the display on the side facing me. But, when I pulled the console, and tried to fit the CB in the back of the console, it would not fit. Rear light location, and I think the remote sensor didn't leave me enough room. I thought about just hanging it below the console, but because I don't actually have said Dual Bander yet (nor do I have the extra $300 for it!) I thought that was a pretty clean mount for it.
I've got a "No Ground Plane" antenna for the back hatch, and I'm planning on running the cable up in the head liner,and out the rear hatch. I think I am going to run the power down the drivers A piller and find some 12v down there. Then I won't have any cables hanging! :sunshine:

ChuckstrPT said:
Lets try this.....
20111.jpg

and if that doesn't work CB from above
can't figure out my pic problems.....I suck :bawl:

...wait! Now I see the pics? What's the deal? I intermittently suck....hmmm

Last edited:
bj-666 said:
if your going to be taping into other wires to get power you might want to buy a (damit can't think of the word for it, but i basicly cleans the power coming into a radio) ever been in a car that you can hear a change in the sound of the radio as you change rpm same idea you want to try to make the connection to the bat as direct as possible some even use coax cable.
Ground Loop Isolator
Can be had at advance auto for $10.
It's in the radio section, don't ask for it, they'll not know what youre talking about. I think they have it listed as a noise reducer.
You can get it at radioshack if you want to pay $20.

ChuckstrPT said:
can't figure out my pic problems.....I suck :bawl:

...wait! Now I see the pics? What's the deal? I intermittently suck....hmmm
Your picture problem is Free web don't allow posting pictures to Forums.
Most free web Hosts don't.
To post pictures get a free account with photobucket.com

langer1 said:
Your picture problem is Free web don't allow posting pictures to Forums.
Most free web Hosts don't.
To post pictures get a free account with photobucket.com
That would explain it. Bummer. Why not? So I can just post a link to the page. Hey, when I open the home page, with the pics on it, they show up on the Forum page? What's up with that?
Thanks! :wave:

ChuckstrPT said:
That would explain it. Bummer. Why not? So I can just post a link to the page. Hey, when I open the home page, with the pics on it, they show up on the Forum page? What's up with that?
Thanks! :wave:
Because nothings free, they want people to see the ad's that pay the bill's at the top of every page.
Because there in your computer memory after you view them from the home page.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Because there in your computer memory after you view them from the home page.
That's not very helpful for everyone else! :wave:
Thanks for the help!

Back