• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear not quite right

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I finally put my 4.10s in to match up with my aw4 and 30's. It feels aaaawwesome.

But, I switched in a 40 tooth gear. According to gps, I am dead-on up to 50 mph. At 55, I'm around 56. At 60, I'm around 62. Around 62.5'ish, I'm at 65. At 65, I'm at 70ish.

I know that my speedo is by no means a precise device. But it doesn't seem to make any sense that its right down low, but increasinly off as speed increases.

Any ideas?

will

DeftwillP said:
I finally put my 4.10s in to match up with my aw4 and 30's. It feels aaaawwesome.

But, I switched in a 40 tooth gear. According to gps, I am dead-on up to 50 mph. At 55, I'm around 56. At 60, I'm around 62. Around 62.5'ish, I'm at 65. At 65, I'm at 70ish.

I know that my speedo is by no means a precise device. But it doesn't seem to make any sense that its right down low, but increasinly off as speed increases.

Any ideas?

will

Well I think that your eye to gps to speedo coordination might be a bit off, and to all that add the lag on the gps. Your best way to test the speedo is to look at the trip odometer and go about 10 ~ 15 miles and watch the mile markers.

edit: also according to my calculations you should be using a 37 tooth gear.

DeftwillP said:

Any ideas?

will

Based on those measurements, no speedo gear is going to get you dead on through the driving range. They are not consistent with 0mph speedo == 0mph gps; you can't draw a straight line through those points. I would second the suggestion that there's a disconnect between what you're seeing on the GPS and your actual speed. It's a tricky measurement; you really have to be on a level road and keep the speed dead-nuts-stable.

speed.gif

Odd...I'm logged in, but I don't have an "edit" button for my post. Anyway, here's the picture to illustrate what I'm talking about.

fizassist said:

jrsxj98 said:
Actually a 39 tooth gear for 4.10's and 30's

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

39 tooth is what I planned on buying but had forgotten by the time I got to the dealership. There are 3 different tables with 3 different suggestions as to how many teeth it should have. 40 was one of them. I am going to try the 39 next.

As far measuring by distance: I show 9.5 miles to 10 miles of mile marker.

Ok, I have a headache trying to figure out mine. I have yet to find a graph that includes my setup......I'm running an auto with 5.38's and 38" SX's that measure 37.75". I know I've been eating retard sandwiches lately but any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing a 39 or 43 tooth gear. Any experts out there.

The first person that says search I'm going to punch in the baby maker.

I already searched.......

rokjeep said:
Ok, I have a headache trying to figure out mine. I have yet to find a graph that includes my setup......I'm running an auto with 5.38's and 38" SX's that measure 37.75". I know I've been eating retard sandwiches lately but any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing a 39 or 43 tooth gear. Any experts out there.

The first person that says search I'm going to punch in the baby maker.

I already searched.......

Ok I see what I can do.
My chart shows up to 4.88 and a 38" tyre ( taking into account that most are under ) and a 36 tooth gear. So if we add the % difference between the gears to that speedo gear you will get the new figure. 5.38 - 4.88 = 0.5 divide by 4.88 x 100 = 10.25%
So add that % to the speedo gear of 36 = 3.7 teeth so call it a 40 tooth gear.

Gojeep said:
Ok I see what I can do.
My chart shows up to 4.88 and a 38" tyre ( taking into account that most are under ) and a 36 tooth gear. So if we add the % difference between the gears to that speedo gear you will get the new figure. 5.38 - 4.88 = 0.5 divide by 4.88 x 100 = 10.25%
So add that % to the speedo gear of 36 = 3.7 teeth so call it a 40 tooth gear.

I went cross-eyed just reading that. Thank you, it will get me much closer than where I am at now at least, if not right on.

Back