• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Porc Sye

AZ XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for an sye kit for my xj. I was pretty much set on the PORC kit and a stock front ds, but after doing much searching and reading a lot of threads, I'm not so sure. It seems to be hit or miss with the difficulty of installation with the PORC kit. What do you guys reccomend? The JB conversions kit looks pretty nice

AZ XJ said:
I'm in the market for an sye kit for my xj. I was pretty much set on the PORC kit and a stock front ds, but after doing much searching and reading a lot of threads, I'm not so sure. It seems to be hit or miss with the difficulty of installation with the PORC kit. What do you guys reccomend? The JB conversions kit looks pretty nice

Trust me, the install looks a lot harder in paper than it really is. It is not too bad. Even the hack 'n tap type aren't too bad.

If you can do one kit, you can do the other.

All the kits are the same as is the install(easy).

I really dont think that it's a bad kit, I've just read a couple threads about guys having issues with the snap rings that come in the kit and a couple things about having to knock a needle bearing cage out? Obvioiusly I've never done an sye install, so could somebody explain this to me?

Dealing with the needle bearings is going to apply to any SYE kit that you have to change out the main shaft. IF you have a transfer case made before '95.5 you will have to knock the needle bearings out of the gearset in order for the gearset to slip over the replacement shaft. Takes all of about 5 minutes or less. Not needed on a 231 newer than '95. My late model '95 did not have the needle bearings, but early '95 and older do.

Occasionally the supplied snapring that's applied last during the install is too thick for the groove. Reusing the stock snapring is the common fix, not really an issue during the install.

Only two issues I know of, shouldn't stop you from saving all that money compared to the other kits.

Ok awesome, It's easier to understand when it's all in one post. I have a 96, so it seems as though the bearing issue isn't an issue at all. Thanks for your help, I think I'm gonna go with the PORC kit. The price is just incredible, and free shipping on top of that! I'm also planning on using a stock front ds...do you forsee any problems with that, or would you reccomend an aftermarket shaft?

got it, love it, easy to do!....that is all...:paperwork

i installed the PORC sye about a few weeks ago. It was not to bad. Only thing is is that they didnt include the plug for the hole where the vaccum switch goes in on the older models, so now im stuck with plugging it up with saran wrap and duct tape unitl they shiop this plug out to me which they said they would do like 2 weeks ago, and i still dont have it. The other thing is to make sure the front driveshaft will be long enough. MIne was to short because i have the dana 35 axle and not the 8.25 which sticks out further to the front of the jeep. Good luck

I've been debating this upgrade as well. I have a front DS and about 4" of lift. Will the front DS be long enough?

93/aw4/np231/8.25

I'll tell ya if its long enough by this weekend...I'm doing the PORC kit with the front shaft and I'm hoping it will be long enough. I have the AW4 and the 8.25, so lets all cross our fingers.

BTW, i had problems with the snapring not fitting as well. I called PORC and he said it happens every so often, and he said just rub it on some sandpaper and thin it down just a hair, and he said it shouldnt be a problem. I gotta finish up this weekend, I had to go back to school for the week, so ill finish it up friday night.

Awesome! Please be sure to let us know how it went. As soon as I can locate a stock front ds, I'll be ordering my kit. Good luck!

Get a front DS from a 4.0L automatic; they're slightly longer.

The only issues I have with my PORC install to date are the afore-mentioned snapring fitment and the rear seal leak. I've got to look up the earlier threads talking about the rear seal to see if there's a known replacement number for that yet. Oh yeah, and it's made in Taiwan if that's a concern to any readers here.

just measure what you need and what it is. I hunted a while and many even with the same drivetrain varied in lengths of the shafts. I wound up getting one from a ZJ and its working great for me so far.

Ok will do...I'll be making a junkyard trip this weekend and I'll do some measuring before I head out to see what I need. I might need something a little longer since my 4.5" rear lift is more like a 5 or 5.5"....or would it not matter?

I just installed the PORC kit last weekend. It really isn't that hard. I had a thread going that made it seem like it took me a while (like 3 days...) but I was doing it in a friends garage and could only work on it in the afternoon and evenings.

I did run into problems with the snap rings. The largest was that I didn't have a good set of snap ring pliers. That used up about 3 hours of my time when it should have taken a couple minutes, max... Then I had issues with the large one being too thick. I took it down with a file and then smoothed it out with some sand paper. Now it fits nice and snug.

And make sure you have EVERYTHING you need to do it. I ended up wasting more time having to bum rides into town to pick up new bolts for the d-shafts that I forgot, my extentions for my ratchets that I left in my other tool box, and other random stuff.

Having to stop and start all the time slowed me down even more.

As for the length of the shaft, I'm at 5" and a front shaft is working so far. I wasn't sure, but mack told me that he's running at 6" with a front shaft, so you should be ok with your 5-5.5"

Yea, from what I've been reading, having to sand down the snap ring seems to be pretty common with people who have installed the kit, and thats no big deal to me. I'll be doing it in my driveway so hopefully I can eliminate time consuming trips to pickup stuff I forgot, and I'm gonna pick me up a good set of snap ring pliers. But everything seems pretty straight forward, so it's just a matter of finding a driveshaft at this point. Thanks for your help man, I appreciate it!

660308_93_full.jpg

660308_94_full.jpg

660308_95_full.jpg

There it is. Just finished it up this weekend. That's the PORC with the front driveshaft out of an automatic with an 8.25 rearend. You can see where it pulled it out some, its still got about and inch or so of travel expansion id say. I might get it lengthened, which prolly means it wont happen for awhile, but ive been driving it and it feels great. I've got some 2.5* shims that i got for free from my buddy, and they are working great, all angles look good.

If it is only an inch I would be very worried! Have you checked to see how much is left at full suspension droop as well as you dont want it dropping onto the ground and flinging all over the place I can tell you. If have had the slip yoke peel apart due to not enough insertion even without dropping out.

Back