• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bar Pin Removal - help!

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I need help before I hurt myself or destroy my new shocks. I'm trying to get the bar pin out of a new set of shocks. I tried the JKS method of using a big f'in hammer and that did nothing. Using a vise, I was able to get it part of the way out, but there has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

Don't really kmow a better way, but lube it up if you haven't already done so.

WD-40 or whatever you have.

Keep on trucking with the vise. Get a couple deep sockets to press the thing all the way out (smaller one on the inside, bigger one on the outside). This will work (in theory). I went the BFH route on my old shocks (when I thought I needed to keep the bar pin) and it didn't turn out pretty.

Lube it up good, big deep socket on one end, at least a 1/2 inch drive, better with a 3/4" drive socket so the pin can go all the way thru. Then a vise and squeeze it out. Did an OME on a TJ last month and forgot to lube one when installing the barpin, it was a bear, gave it a couple of shots of royal purple spray lube and it slid right in.
We're having a lift party this weeked on sat and maybe sun and so far the lift count is 4 TJ's and a couple of YJ's and maybe an XJ or two so if anybody is in the blakeslee pa area give me a shout and stop by for a visit... garage, air tools, torch, welder and lift we have. Might even be a keg there later on in the afternoon :D

The vice with the sockets is your best bet but a press works well also. Make sure the socket is holding the bushing so you don't press both out. And if your realy uncomforable all most all parts stores have a press (napa) and will do it for you.

I did finally get one out. I'm using dish soap for lube, maybe I'll try something different. Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to keep at it and do it myself - it's more rewarding :)

I have used a BFH, vice, press, and just pliers in the past. The key is to lube it really well. I have used dish soap, but petroleum jelly, and spray lubes work much better.

Michael

Back