• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ps window malfunction

awglx

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, the ps window in my girlfriends 00' sport wont work from that side.
It used to work somtimes but not anymore. Do you think it is a bad connection or switch?
Thanks

Passenger's window does not work from that side, right?

This is a common problem on the later style door switches, and is cause by the lockout switch in the driver's door. That switch supplies power to all the other switches in the other doors, and it get's intermittent with age.

Two ways to fix it:

1. buy a new switch assy. for the driver's door (about $175)
2. jumper across two of the wires entering the switch assy in the driver's door, thereby defeating the lockout switch permanently. (Do a search on this forum to find out which wires are the correct ones.)

I have been meaning to see if the switch assy can be disassembled and cleaned/repaired. Once I get some time, I will be digging into the one on my 2000. (Mine is only periodically intermittent.)

Thanks for the reply.
Would the light on the switch still light up if that is the problem because when it works its lit up and when it doesnt work it wont even light up.

awglx said:
Thanks for the reply.
Would the light on the switch still light up if that is the problem because when it works its lit up and when it doesnt work it wont even light up.
The light gets it's power from the same source as the switch proper. YOu have the EXACT symptoms of a flakey lockout switch.

Bypass the switch and never have a problem again.

As for taking apart the switch and cleaning it, don't bother. The switch goes bad because the whole switch housing and internal mechanism is all plastic with a metal rod to make/open the contacts. After a lot of use, especially when 2 windows are rolled up/down together, the metal rod heats up and starts slowly melting away at the switch creating a big area of play. Your switch is acting up because it's internally loose which is why an internal cleaning is useless.

Back