• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping out bushings in an RE pack

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Well, my bushings are shot and they need replacing. Has anyone swapped those out? I have a 20 ton press and I'm thinking it should be fairly easy to swap them in and out, but I haven't seen the replacemetns yet (actually I don't know yet if they're free = warranty, or will I have to pay for them). Anyways, anything to watch out for while replacing them?

You should be just fine. I used a small prybar to put some pressure inside the end wrap, turned the thing sideways, and tapped the bushings out with a socket and dead blow. Reversed for install. No problems whatsoever. A press would have made it a little easier, but I didn't have one handy. :)

I just replaced the front bushing in one of my RE1462 leafs weekend before last actually. 20-ton press worked great.

My problem was the bushing itself had seperated from the sleeve and started to work it's way out the side (so the spring eye was rubbing the hanger). I used the press to push the rubber the rest of the way out, then used a sawzall to cut the sleeve so I could pull it out. I used a socket about the same OD as the bushing sleeve to help press the new bushing into the spring eye without pushing the rubber out of the sleeve... if that all makes sense.

I just did mine this weeekend. If you have a press and a 36mm socket it will be a piece of cake. The socket is the perfect size to push the old one out on the frame side of the spring (front). The shackle end I cant remember what size socket I used but the sockets work really well.

jeepme said:
I just did mine this weeekend. If you have a press and a 36mm socket it will be a piece of cake. The socket is the perfect size to push the old one out on the frame side of the spring (front). The shackle end I cant remember what size socket I used but the sockets work really well.
cool, then it looks like I'm set :D The shackle end would probably be smaller, and I got plenty different sockets so that shoudl be no biggie as well.

Jeepin Jason said:
My problem was the bushing itself had seperated from the sleeve and started to work it's way out the side (so the spring eye was rubbing the hanger).

Hmmm my bushings just look trashed: looks like the actual rubber split and the inner sleeve is sitting waaaaaaaaaay crooked inside the remaining pieces of the rubber.

are the bushing the same a stock ones? my 1462 bushing are shot too so i need a pair.
ps, yes i know this thread is way old....but hey..i searched.

mack said:
are the bushing the same a stock ones? my 1462 bushing are shot too so i need a pair.
ps, yes i know this thread is way old....but hey..i searched.
I think they are different in size.. might be wrong though.

Back