• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flare options

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
Im kinda undecided on what do do about my flares. i currently dont have any and i was thinking bushwackers. i really dont want the stock flares and i want a real clean look, i dont want to trim too much. ive got the rustys 3" kit that sits round 5-5.5. im also planning some 32s. What do you guys think?

I really like the bushwackers and will probably go with them on my XJ eventually...i think they look cleaner than the Rustys. You should be fine with the 3" lift and 32's with modest trimming and the flairs.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=439006670

I trimmed about 2-2.5" around the front and only about 1" in the rears. I used this 3M rubber adhesive tape that sticks real well and looks smooth and clean. After I trimmed I painted the flares with black rustoleum to keep it from rusting, then put the rubber tape over it. Rock Lizard Fabrications can order this stuff called Proteckto-Trim for $35 that is similar and better, but this tape only costs me about $20.

ckh550 said:
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=439006670

I trimmed about 2-2.5" around the front and only about 1" in the rears. I used this 3M rubber adhesive tape that sticks real well and looks smooth and clean. After I trimmed I painted the flares with black rustoleum to keep it from rusting, then put the rubber tape over it. Rock Lizard Fabrications can order this stuff called Proteckto-Trim for $35 that is similar and better, but this tape only costs me about $20.
can you repost the pic? the link doesn't work

I was going through the same issue a while back trying to decide which type of flares to buy. I researched and looked into several different styles. What I found was that the Rustys flares offer the ability to trim alot from the fenders, and they lood and fit well.

The Bushwackers look great, but if your planning on wheelin your XJ alot, I would prolly go with something that gives more clearance. The Bushwackers look and fit great, but for some reason they designed them with a lip underneath the flare the returns to the body. I didnt like this because when your articulating alot in the front, the tires (33 in my case) tend to hit the flares and pop out some of the self tapping screws. You can try to trim off the bottom lip op the flare, but then they lose a little of the rigidity that they have.

It seems it's all up to what you plan on doing. With a 3 inch lift, it doesnt sound like your going to go crazy anyway. If you want what looks the best, I would go with the Bushwackers.

Just my 10 cents.....................

i have bushwackers, and i hate them, when you have to look out at the tire while wheeling, all you see is flare! plus, if they get ripped off, they'll leave alot of holes in the body.
GAJR065.jpg

bushwhacker's crack and break easily too. i put TJ flares on mine - and i can grind 'em down a tree - HARD - and they just bend.

i think the BW's look cooler though. as mentioned earlier, if you're building your rig for looks - get 'em. if you're building it to wheel, get TJ flares.

Tj flares and bushwacker flares both stand up to abuse, it all depends on how you mount them. I mounted my tj flares with self tapping screws, and they've never come off, so I don't know what the deal is with the bushwackers. Also, cutting out the inner lip of the bushwacker flare won't be that big of a deal... you'll want more flexibility in a flare instead of rigidity anyway. That way if you scrapes against a wall, it'll compress instead of coming off of the fender. 32's with bushwackers will look retarded though... the only size that looks "normal" with them would have to be a 33+ tire.

Yes they are TJ fronts on the front and TJ rears on the rears.

I would have went with BW's but I just can't bring myself to spend over 300 bucks on them. Plus some of the trails that I wheel I would not make it through with BW's on, or should I say they may not look the same or not be there at all on the other side.

Would I do it again I sure would, for the 60 bucks I spent on the 4 flares I could replace one a month and and not think about it.

You can see more pictures @ http://www.pa-wheeling.com/index.php?name=coppermine&cat=10002

This is mostly a DD but i do wheel it. probobly once a week. Like i said i want it looking clean. I guess right now if i dont do bushwackers ill keep it flareless. thanks for the responses.

helix said:
rustys 3" kit that sits round 5-5.5
:bs:

You would be fine with TJ flares, id run TJ rears F/R though. I have BW's and like the other guy said somewhere in this thread, i love them and hate them. They look sweet AND they keep the cops from bothering me...but thats where they stop being a good thing. They are expenceive which makes seeing one getting ripped off by a rock or tree very painfull to watch. If you do get them i HIGHLY recomend not using the supplied self tappers wherever possible, and instead using 3/16x3 inch (roughly) bolts and fender washers. The self tappers rip out like its thier job.

Heres mine
707005_171_full.jpg

Rusty's are perfect for 32-33" tires, but not bigger. If you ever go to 35's, you will want the bushwackers. The rusty's flares are now made from a poured urethane. They are actually really flexible (contrary to earlier flares they made), and you can remove a good deal of sheet metal. They rivet on, and installation was pretty simple (about 3 hours for 2 of us drinking beer). I have them on my '01 xj, and with 33x12.5x15's on 15x8 rims with 4" bs, the tire is right at the edge of the flare (maybe sticks out a 1/4" at most) in the front. I swapped in an 8.8 in the rear (narrower) and they sit just inside the edge. Perfect for 33's, no good for 35's.

I run pre 97 flares on my 98. The only real difference is I cut them down so they are trimmed up. I also drilled out holes in the flares to access the bolts. I didn't run the mounting brackets either. I can't see spending $300+ on something like flares. You can get a locker or sliders for less than that. Don't have pictures right now but I will get some if anyone is interested.

GirlScout1 said:
I run pre 97 flares on my 98. The only real difference is I cut them down so they are trimmed up. I also drilled out holes in the flares to access the bolts. I didn't run the mounting brackets either. I can't see spending $300+ on something like flares. You can get a locker or sliders for less than that. Don't have pictures right now but I will get some if anyone is interested.

Its worth $300 when: A. Stock flares/TJ flares dont give you enough tire coverage to be "legal" B. You have $300 to spend, you already have sliders and a locker

And its 6 with 35's but close

Back