• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dash lights and door locks?

GTIguy02

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 92' xj and the dash lights and door locks dont work.

The dash light fuse is not blown but when I pulled it there was a little corrosion on the fuse. Cleaned it up, put it back in, got a buzz from the headlight switch (I'm assuming its the buzz for when you leave your lights on with the ignition off?) for about half a second then stopped. No dash lights still. I'm thinking fuse panel or headlight switch? If so how do I check for that?

The door locks on the passenger side of the car are harder to push from lock to unlock than the drivers side. I can hear the motor near the floorboard on the passenger side making noise but no go on the locks.

Is there anything simple to check aside from fuses? I'm at a loss and dont really feel like tearing into my fuse panel.

Thanks for all the help!

I´m kind of shooting blind here, don't really know much about the 92. But on the earlier models, there is a piece of rubber foam about half way down the locking rod inside the door. Kind of an anti rattle thing. If it turns, twists or slides on the rod, it can make things really stiff (I tear them out and throw them away). I regularly (yearly) blow the door latch mechanism out with brake cleaner, I use a piece of windshield washer tubing to get the spray where I want it. Then soak the latch mech. with synthetic motor oil. I've pulled the door latch mech. out for cleaning, but it's really to much work for too little result. There is a bend on the rod near the door inner lock button. I've found bending it another 3/16-1/4 inch or so helps. I've also seen the inside lock mechanical button itself get a little stiff. A good cleaning and a drop of oil helps.
Chances are it's the rheostat part of the headlight knob that's bad. If the dimmer control for the dash lights at the headlight switch is bad, it is often too easy to turn or too hard to turn, hangs and grinds some. Testing and/or checking anything behind the dash is a pain. You have to be really careful not to do more damage than good. I've got big hands and dash wiring isn't one of my favorite jobs.

Back