• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ frame questions - pros & cons

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
Let me preface this by saying I did a fair amount of searching both on this site and google'd many others...

Being the proud owner of an XJ and WJ, I am seriously considering a Jeep Comanche MJ to add to my Jeep stable, 1987, 4WD, 4.0 motor, manual, 160K miles. Guys asking about $3K for it, but I think I can get it for around 2.5. The plan is to put 33's on it, trim the fenders, drop some lockers in, regear it, outfit the MJ with a whole bunch of body armor, and make a fairly serious trail rig.

MJ Questions:

1) Cons to the unibody construction for a hardcore wheeler (at least on the front half)? Why does the unibody seem to have such a negative vibe out there in the 4wd community?
2) How does the frame in the rear connect with the unibody up forward?
3) Good questions to ask the dealer regarding this MJ. For example, I'm already asking if it has the D44 metric ton rear. Any others?
4) Rollcage in the rear - I assume I can weld it directly to the frame for strength?
4) MJ owners have any words of advice for me before jumping into this project?

Thanks!

The MJ uni-body is actually a bit stronger than the XJ as the rear is thicker and there are frame gussets under the cab and the front lower control arm mounts have bracing already built in.

The rear frame is actually part of the uni-body so there's no real 'attachment' as it were as it;s one piece...it's just built more like a regular style frame. In fact if you rip the carpet out and look down inside the pseudo frame inside the cab you can find 4 mounting points where the cab is actually bolted down to the uni-frame as well as all welded up like the XJ.

As for the roll cage in the rear...I wouldn;t weld it directly to the frame...but maybe weld down some plating...3/16 or 1/4 where you want to place cage/frame attachment points...then weld the cage to those. Seems like it would be stronger as you would have the cage load spread out over a larger stronger surface than just the frame itself. Had I kept my MJ this is how I was going to do it.

Questions to ask...ask if it has the 'metric ton package'...the owner may not know what is meant by the 'metric ton D-44' as it's just a plain ol' D-44 that the MJ's had with the metric ton package. Other than that just the usual stuff you would ask when buying any used vehicle.

Other than that I would really check for rust inside the cab (floorboards) and check inside the pseudo-frame under the cab for rust. The MJ cabs leak at the rear bulkhead and window and water will get into the frame...have seen more than one MJ taken to the crusher because of this.

Last edited:
Back